Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:The QC supplement changed to a xp cost some while ago.
The one located on the Downloads is R2 and should have been removed.
And it would have been, if the author had let me know to remove it...

EDIT: Actually, it was R1.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:
Dimirag wrote:The QC supplement changed to a xp cost some while ago.
The one located on the Downloads is R2 and should have been removed.
And it would have been, if the author had let me know to remove it...

EDIT: Actually, it was R1.
Yeah, go ahead and remove the one on the main downloads.
It can remain in showcase, at least until I finish up an unfinished section of it. I may contact you at that point about whether or not it might go back to the main downloads page.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Yeah, go ahead and remove the one on the main downloads.
It can remain in showcase, at least until I finish up an unfinished section of it. I may contact you at that point about whether or not it might go back to the main downloads page.
Well, the updated, consistent version has been a great help in navigating my main structural framework for the work.

In my RPG, I gave each d100 skill its own cost per %, so that classes (and Quasi-Classes) could set their base values and increases.

I'm now finding the need to write up a 'Normal Human class' to baseline things like pure Medics, Acrobats, Assassins, etc. Is there a file I'm overlooking?

I also intend on decoupling the Classes from the XP Tables, renaming them XP1, XP2, etc., then providing a base XP cost per level (and increase cost) for each Core Ability/Feature (Fighting and Armour/Arms, Thieving Skills, Arcane, DIvine Magic, etc.) so that any conceivable class can be constructed, while making all cannon backwards compatible, and Core.

I also plan on a Quick-Gen method like Hill Canton's Chris K's, where each component has its XP cost listed so it remains consistent.

Lastly, I'm thinking of including alternate XP Tables consistent with other RPGs, so that Tunnels & Trolls 5th Edition, or D&D 5e, as examples, could create or port PCs back and forth to BFRPG and their alternate system with less of an ad hoc feel.

Thoughts and Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Maybe this can help you
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Thanks.
There was an old Dragon magazine article like this, but this looks more scholarly. I think this flex and complete compatibility can be accomplished.
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

A few questions for you good folks:

1). Do you see the distinct 4 Core Class XP tracks as essential?

2). Could a method where only the Features of a Class-build contributing to the XP fulfill your expectations of BFRPG, if the 4 Core Classes were still identical to their current XP Tracks?

3). As above, if Classes were stripped down to their Features inventory (d4 = n XP, Darkvision = etc.) and one could build custom characters in line with the 4 Core Classes, would the decoupling of Quasi-Class Features into purchasable abilities rob your enjoyment of them?

4). Can you see a use for Quasi-Class-only characters (in other words, a pure Acrobat, Healer, etc.)?

Thanks,
_T_
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

1: I like the XP per class rule, XP is somewhat the final balance touch of each class.

2: Don't worry to much of what other want for BFRPG, do what you want to do for it, I like having specific classes made beforehand, having a XP-feature class builder will surely be helpful.
2b: Don't worry to much if your final cost are not exactly the same but within close values.

3: Don't worry for the QC supplement, not everyone use them, so if your supplement lets you build a barbarian, an athlete or something like that then so be it. I think this kind of supplement is better as a stand alone and not something that must be balance or compared to other class-related supplements.

4: That's entirely up to the GM and group, IIRC at some point in the past the game where almost saturated by classes and classes and more classes, Solo is very careful with letting new classes so a stop was asked, then Smoot created the QC as a way to create lots of classes in a fast and simpler way but some (if not most) GM and players prefer full classes and some (if not most) of them prefer the classical ones. But don't let that stop you from making non-standard classes (or making a supplement that allows the creation of them).

NOTE: Sorry Smoot for speaking for you for the QC, feel free to correct me.
Last edited by Dimirag on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:1: I like the XP per class rule, XP is somewhat the final balance touch of each class.

2: Don't worry to much of what other what for BFRPG, do what you want to do for it, I like having specific classes made beforehand, having a XP-feature class builder will surely be helpful.
2b: Don't worry to much if your final cost are not exactly the same but within close values.

3: Don't worry for the QC supplement, not everyone use them, so if your supplement lets you build a barbarian, an athlete or something like that then so be it. I think this kind of supplement is better as a stand alone and not something that must be balance or compared to other class-related supplements.

4: That's entirely up to the GM and group, IIRC at some point in the past the game where almost saturated by classes and classes and more classes, Solo is very careful with letting new classes so a stop was asked, then Smoot created the QC as a way to create lots of classes in a fast and simpler way but some (if not most) GM and players prefer full classes and some (if not most) of them prefer the classical ones. But don't let that stop you from making non-standard classes (or making a supplement that allows the creation of them).

NOTE: Sorry Smoot for speaking for you for the QC, feel free to correct me or
I concur completely.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Thanks to both of you.
I appreciate the feedback. :D

I'll proceed. :arrow:
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Well, I'm tweaking my point-buy system, and here is my first Proof of Concept:

[edited]

2nd Level M-U-

-150 2d4 Hit Dice
-100 Simple Weapons
-750 Major Caster Access
-375 0th Level Spells
-750 1st Level Spells
-162 7 0th Level Spells (10 Int)
-024 2 1st Level Spell
-490 35% Magical Research
=
-301 XP remaining
Last edited by _Timeshadows_ on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.