Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
_Timeshadows_

Re: Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

2nd Level Thief-

-150 2d4
-200 Light Armour and Simple Arms
-315 Access to Thieving Skills
-000 Base Thieving Percentages (2k+)
-392 2nd Level Increase
-185 Stealth Attack / Waylay
=
+8 XP
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

[deleted]
Last edited by _Timeshadows_ on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

2nd Level Fighter-

-210 2d8 Hit Dice
-660 Heavy Armour and Shields, Martial Weapons
-750 +1 Attack Bonus
=
380 XP Remaining
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Those four do not include Saves, as I've yet to determine how I'm going to institute it as a purchasable item.

I think I need to write-up a few more levels to see if the over budget on the casters continues (I suspect not), and if not, then I'll trim the casting costs to bring them into (closer) conformity with BFRPG.

Likewise, I'm reexamining the Thieving Skill costs, as giving the base %s just feels like cheating, and I'd like a consistent system for something like the Assassin acting as a Thief of one level lower.

Any input, constructive criticism?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

What about 1st level characters? They start as per the core rules?
Are you charging weapons and armors at each level?

Is the idea behind this to create a system that lets you build a class or one that lets you buy things as you earn XP? (I think your goal is the former with a little of the later).

One way to do it is to follow the path made by the "perfect class" file.

Basic D20 might be of help to you.

Here's a really alternative take. Use an "Adventurer Class": It has no requirement, and has the AB, Hit Dice, weapon and armor of a Magic User.

Each improvement on the Adventurer has an XP cost (and some of them have a minimum ability requirement) which is added to the base XP cost of the adventurer.

Another way: Using the "Adventurer" as a base, create 3XP tiers: Fast, Medium, Slow, each one with a higher XP cost than the one before.

At some levels the adventurer gains points (the higher the tier the more points he receive) to buy special abilities like increased HD, AB, access to equipment, etc. Once a feature is purchased it remains in effect, some of them have abilities requirement, some of them scale at each new level...

This lets you not only to create a vast variety of classes (its almost classless) it also lets you to "evolve" your class as it gains new features and improves old ones.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

It is a system that allows the player to build as they go, including emulating existing classes, just as you have illustrated. I first published this in 2009, and am revising it and making it backward compatible with BFRPG.

Thanks for BasicD20 and your input.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like where this is going. After this goes through some degree of refinement and finalization, I would like to have the quasi-classes reviewed systematically to see where they ought to be (experience point cost). I doubt I would be using this sort of supplement in an al-a-carte manner, but it seems like it could be a very valuable resource when building a custom class offering, or even just in reviewing some offerings to help determine balancing features against experience.

It would be interesting to see (myself) where some of the things I have created over the years stack up (in a systematic way), as I really just do a lot eye-balling, comparing, and asking the community what they think about the topics.... though, like I said above, I would not bother until this goes through a great deal of review and refinement.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I would also suggest that a separate section or addendum be added that deals with race. Since BFRPG separates race and class, I think they should be treated separately in this sort of guide as well... much smaller margins to work through though (the +10% bonus for humans is the only standard to work with currently).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

SmootRK,

I most definitely will keep race and class separate.
I'm glad you can see use for this in the BFRPG community.
I'll keep posting updates.

Next batch of questions:

1). Q: Do we have the basic XP ladder that the Mod XP get multiplied against, like 400, 2k, etc.

[Rewritten for clarity and sanity]
2). As it stands now, the system I'm using makes it possible to simply total the XP requirement derived from the options, such as HD that could vary over levels or not increase in die number past an early level, or any other feature appear and not be advanced, etc. Q: is this desirable?
Last edited by _Timeshadows_ on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

A1: I think it goes something like:
Level 1: 0
Level 2: Base XP
Levels 3-7: Double cost of previous level.
Levels 8: I can't yet figure it. It looks like a rounded down cost of LVL7 times two.
Levels 9-20: Previous Level + Level 8.

A2: I don't fully understand the question to give and answer (sorry).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/