RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
-1warrior

Re: RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

Post by -1warrior »

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Miserable players who dislike the GM's style are not good players.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Not to embark on ideology (again), but I confess that what JoeCarr is saying, did cross my mind too when I read the new parts, phrasing it as "the final decision is the DM's" is an accurate way to put it. Not to speak for -1warrior, but to quote "Make the game what you want. Have fun with it. ... Where there are no confines other than the GMs and the players imaginations." And yeah, in the end, the GM is the final arbiter. The PDF does say "there are variations" of the phrase.

Also, when I read the part about "DM fiat" I couldn't stop thinking about the debates on DF about that word. A fiat could be misinterpreted as someone who pulls punches or fudges dice rolls on a whim or plays favorites; but a GM who embraces "discretion" is one who chooses between arbitrary options (and objectively when possible.) Not that I want to open a can of worms; it's just a word and a common one.

The PDF does address this though: "the GM's job is not to 'win' somehow by beating up on you, but to make the game fun for everyone."

Ah, but Solo, 5e is properly modern, by definition, because it was published on a modern date... just kidding; I know what you mean :-) The thing about calling it "old school" is that it is commonly accepted: we call it "OSR", where the OS is "old school."

Looking forward to the part on minis.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Alright I've sat back to see all the opinions flying fast and furious. :)

Please keep in mind this is Solo's way of playing. As with the game and its supplements you're free to use all, some or none of it for your game. It's ok if your style is different! Personally I actually started working on my own similar document (put aside until Field Guide and Core 3E are done) and will be releasing it on Showcase with its own thread in Workshop when it's ready. I invite everyone else to do the same if they'd like; show us how you like to play, the interaction between GM and players, etc. We can only learn and grow, no matter if it's something we agree with or not.

As we have done please keep the debate friendly yet spirited!
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Well, we are starting to rival fast and furious. Except, we have 9 pages, not just 6. ;)

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Jered Taikith wrote:I actually meant using those outlets to push out the info you're putting into the book but that's ok. Didn't mean to irritate you. Sorry. Oh and thanks for the all the fish.
Hey, not irritated, and I hardly expect you to leave.

If I expected everyone to agree with me, why would I bother to run a forum? I could just assume your answers and go on. :D

-1warrior: Once the Primer is in print, I'd be more than happy to have you promoting it on social media.

With respect to my statements about the GM being always right... I'm open to the suggestions you all have made. I'll be re-reading them, and potentially re-writing my book somewhat afterward.

Here's the key point: I'm dumping this material out of my head and into the PDF as quickly as I can. I do a far better job modifying a work that already exists than originating something, so when I do have things to originate, I get 'em out right away. Later, after discussion and reflection, I'll do revisions.

I'm going to post R8 tonight. I've started on Part 5, which discusses Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, and Swords & Wizardry directly. I am not happy with what I've written in that vein so far, so I know I'll be revising it, but believe it or not I appreciate all your commentary so I'm going ahead and showing my work. Even though I'm not happy with it. That should tell you all how important your opinions are.

Even when I disagree with you, even when I don't change my approach, I benefit from the discussion. The act of disagreeing often forces my opinions to crystallize into words far more clearly than I can express them otherwise, and often I realize how I'm being misinterpreted. So I may not change my ideas or approach, and yet I still do, by explaining them clearly enough that most everyone can follow me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, R8 is posted now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To be honest, I'm getting a little discouraged.

It seems that everyone thinks I'm doing this wrong. I want to put on my mad scientist goggles, shake my fist in the air and say, "You'll see! You'll all see! When I'm done, the world will be mine! HA HA HA HA Ha ha ha *cough* *cough*."

But I'd have to feel confident to do that, and just right now, with my approach being questioned throughout the book, I'm really beginning to think about dropping the whole thing.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

That laughing pose never worked for skeletor, but he was a master sorcerer :lol:
Don't drop it you are doing a great job, although I don't get the hole old vs new school (I have a totally different RPG background) I understand why you are doing it and I think its great.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Solo, I may not agree 100% with you on everything, but you still deserve boatloads of credit for actually doing this.

Togo Galthus

Post by Togo Galthus »

I follow this thread and the development of the playbook with great interest. I think you definitely should continue along the chosen path and finish it.