RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
-1warrior

Re: RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

Post by -1warrior »

This project reminded me of something:

Have any of you read Master of the Game or Role Playing Mastery by Gary Gygax?

I find them both to be excellent books concerning such things, though certainly not appropriate for beginners (merely because of their length and complexity).
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

-1warrior wrote:One thing I might recommend in downplaying the importance of miniatures a little. I find that in my games, they take away from the players using their imagination, which I feel is a major part of role playing. Yes, I know you say you don't need them, but you do say that they have many advantages. Just my opinion.
It's my intent to neither promote them nor downplay them. It serves no purpose to me to do either. But it's tricky to express a neutral opinion, I've discovered.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I know what you mean. Most people will see you as partial to one side or the other, even though you're not. Maybe I made that mistake.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm assuming that is the case, but perhaps I expressed myself poorly.

I'll keep your concerns in mind when I begin my polishing pass.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Thanks again Solo for your efforts. This is nice.

As I've said before in other threads, when I run live games with friends, we just use a checker board and use dice to represent characters (erasers and pencils to represents objects in the room, etc.) It's a cheap and effective way to determine spacial relationships and track movement without all the complicated tactic rules of modern systems. Kind of to your point on "you don't need to spend much on minis."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for the kind words!

Here's a preview of the cover, shot by my wife tonight:
Attachments
Front Cover.jpg
Front Cover.jpg (227.44 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Classic. Awesome! :)

seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Nice board setup :) -- on a personal note, where'd ya get your minis and grid paper? BTW, I'm curious about how you handle attacking from behind. Do you use the 3 way flank rule? That's how my friends have been handling it.
merias

Post by merias »

I'm just reading through R9 now. I think you've done a great job explaining old vs. new school approaches, and giving solid reasons why you prefer the former, and why old school is more fun to play. So thank you and please, continue.

Here are a couple of issues I noticed:

p. 52 S&W is actually three products - complete, core, and whitebox. Complete is 3LBB+ bits from all supplements, core is 3LBB+parts of greyhawk, and whitebox is 3LBB. I think 'vaugest' is perhaps the wrong word - all but whitebox are now complete as far as base rules, but all three do have spots where they offer the GM a few different options, rather than saying 'this is the one way to do it'. Whitebox was meant to be a framework for house rules, but the other two can be played as-is. So not vague, but I'm not sure what word to use.

p. 56 "Amazingly, most of the others statistics.."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

merias wrote:I'm just reading through R9 now. I think you've done a great job explaining old vs. new school approaches, and giving solid reasons why you prefer the former, and why old school is more fun to play. So thank you and please, continue.
You're welcome! I'm hoping to get this into print by the weekend, actually.
merias wrote:p. 52 S&W is actually three products - complete, core, and whitebox. Complete is 3LBB+ bits from all supplements, core is 3LBB+parts of greyhawk, and whitebox is 3LBB.
I'll update the document to clarify this, but rather than break down the details I'll point them to the website.
merias wrote:I think 'vaugest' is perhaps the wrong word - all but whitebox are now complete as far as base rules, but all three do have spots where they offer the GM a few different options, rather than saying 'this is the one way to do it'. Whitebox was meant to be a framework for house rules, but the other two can be played as-is. So not vague, but I'm not sure what word to use.
Vaguest is Matt's word, so you'd have to ask him for a better one. I took it directly from the website.
merias wrote:p. 56 "Amazingly, most of the others statistics.."
Will fix, thanks!