BFRPG Troglodytes - No Stench?!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

BFRPG Troglodytes - No Stench?!

Post by SmootRK »

I was thinking something was missing from the Troglodyte monster entry... stench. I just double checked some other game editions, and they all had a stench ability. I followed up with Labyrinth Lord as well as the new Dark Dungeons retro-clones. They have stench in their entries.

Is this a purposeful change (to give BFRPG a little of its own 'flavor'), or a little omission that has been overlooked so far? I only notice because I had been doing a lot with Monsters as Races supplement.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Re: BFRPG Troglodytes - No Stench?!

Post by SmootRK »

After conferring with Solomoriah, we now know that this was a minor omission, and there should be a stinky ability for Troglodytes. A revised monster entry for Trogs will appear at the end of the Monsters as Races Supplement. Also, Solo has decided that a separate supplement for Errata will be produced to showcase the massive list of corrections that need to be addressed when a new version is necessary. All three errata items will be detailed there. :?
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

This is interesting because its something I remembering noticing and actually cherishing. I like to have a selection of low level brutish humanoids without too many special rules, for fast introductory play. Saving to prevent vomiting may not be some peoples idea of high fantasy. Nonetheless I guess this is what Trogs are good for - stinkin' up the place. ;)
(I have a sneaky feeling the stench rules were omitted from Wizards' SRD - but I could be wrong.)

I rather like odourless Trogs. Nice and simple.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The odor of trogs are easy enough to deal with (IMO anyhow)... within 10', a simple save vs poison or -2 attacks. But yeah, I thought that perhaps the stenchless Trog was perhaps an interpretation that was on purpose.

You should feel free to use them without stench; I thought to include it mostly to ensure compatibility with other editions. BFRPG having its own 'feel' is important to me as well.
drcheckmate

Post by drcheckmate »

Isn't a stenchless trog a lizardman?
http://cruiserolympia.org/site/
The USS Olympia could use some help.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

drcheckmate wrote:Isn't a stenchless trog a lizardman?
I guess statistically pretty close, but descriptively very different. A lizard man (a misnomer) strikes me as something of a Gator Man (with the hiding in water thing) keeping to swamps and marshes (above ground), while the Trog is something of a subterranean lizard descendant of something you might dig up or find slithering around in a cave. But like most things, it is all in the interpretation... others will see things differently, which is a good thing.

Anyhow, the corrected entry appears in the Old Monsters as New Races Supplement which Solo posted up over in the downloads section the other day.