My Wonky Negative HP Dying Rule

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BrianEye

My Wonky Negative HP Dying Rule

Post by BrianEye »

Howdy,

So, here's how I'm running it ... at 0 HP, PCs go down (and effectively, dying). Save vs. Death to stay on your feet. Death finally comes at -HP equal to your Con score. 1st aid and wound binding gets you back at 1 HP.
chiisu81

Re: My Wonky Negative HP Dying Rule

Post by chiisu81 »

I know I've seen negative CON as a common house-rule; I like the added SV throw for additional conditions/possibilities.
existence123

Post by existence123 »

BrianEye wrote:Howdy,

So, here's how I'm running it ... at 0 HP, PCs go down (and effectively, dying). Save vs. Death to stay on your feet. Death finally comes at -HP equal to your Con score. 1st aid and wound binding gets you back at 1 HP.
Do you allow the PC to stay on his feet at negative HP with a successful save? If so, you're a benevolent DM!

Here's how I do it - only ran one session, but I've been doing the RPG thing on and off for years - at or below zero hp, you're down and helpless, and losing a hit point a round until someone bandages you, at which point you stop bleeding out but remain at whatever your negative hp total was. I require a heal skill check at DC10 to stabilize a dying character (DC 15 for characters who do not have the heal skill.) Obviously magical healing can be used to get you over zero and conscious again. I rule that characters are dead at -10, regardless their CON score.

I think that might be the exact procedure laid out in the BFRPG rulebook, come to think of it. I think it gives PCs a sporting chance to stay alive without making it too easy - the threat of death has to be pretty real I think, or else the game gets way to comfortable (read:boring.)
BrianEye

Post by BrianEye »

existence123 wrote:
BrianEye wrote:Do you allow the PC to stay on his feet at negative HP with a successful save? If so, you're a benevolent DM!
On a round by round basis. It actually moves them a little closer to death when / if they do it. ;)
Delver

Post by Delver »

BrianEye wrote:
existence123 wrote:
BrianEye wrote:Do you allow the PC to stay on his feet at negative HP with a successful save? If so, you're a benevolent DM!
On a round by round basis. It actually moves them a little closer to death when / if they do it. ;)
I like that! I feel a new houserule comin' on!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
Hernes Son

Post by Hernes Son »

BrianEye wrote:
existence123 wrote:
If they're standing at negative HP, possibly you could enforce on them a penalty to all rolls based on their negative HP value. You could do it at half the negative HP if that seems less harsh, but I think if the PCs have been smacked down to that point, you're being lenient letting them do anything.
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.
BrianEye

Post by BrianEye »

Hernes Son wrote:If they're standing at negative HP, possibly you could enforce on them a penalty to all rolls based on their negative HP value. You could do it at half the negative HP if that seems less harsh, but I think if the PCs have been smacked down to that point, you're being lenient letting them do anything.
Yes, I'm being very generous - I do have a bit of a bias to ongoing campaign and less TPKs. ;) I don't assess a penalty - though it might be warranted - because I find it sets up a big death spiral (and creates, for me, frustrations at the table) - if I'm going to let them stay in the game, I'd like them to have a chance to fight through it. Just my take.

I'd rather call it "lights out" and have them wake up in chains, etc.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I've used a similar rule where the ST lets you keep consciousness but you still can't act, but you can "push your limit" with another roll to do one action, a "bad failures" makes you unconscious and may kill you.
Last edited by Dimirag on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Delver

Post by Delver »

Dimirag wrote:I've used a similar rule where the ST lets you keep consciousness but you still can act, but you can "push your limit" with another roll to do one action, a "bad failures" makes you unconscious and may kill you.
I like that too!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
Longman

Post by Longman »

I have them save vs death at 0hp or lower, to see if the shock doesn't kill them automatically.

If they save, they are still bleeding out at 1hp a round as normal. Unless they are right on 0, in which case they are stable anyway.

Instead of using -10, I use the reverse of the character's initial class hp. i.e. fighters die at -8, magic users at -4.

Heal skill checks are the same as described by existence123, except I use the base figure of '17' described in the background skill supplement (12 if you actually have the skill). Wisdom should be the relevant stat for bonuses on healing rolls I think.