Save or Die vs BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
-1warrior

Re: Save or Die vs BFRPG

Post by -1warrior »

I thought OSRIC was around before BFRPG.

But hey, doesn't really matter.

My favorite part of the BFRPG system is it's customizablility. It can be so many different things. Most systems have one vision. At our core, we have one vision, but we branch out a lot. I mean, using certain supplements, you could replicate the feel of many different editions.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't see BFRPG as a retro-clone or simulacrum, it has enough of itself to stand as a game alone. To me, BF is BF, and the beauty is that it lets the GM to make of BF their own BF by customizing everything the GM wants to.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I released the first "public" version of Basic Fantasy RPG on January 20, 2006. There wasn't much there when I made that first release, but by summer I was able to run a game at a con in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (actually Marion, right next door). That was R42, I think. It's possible the authors of OSRIC may have been working on their game at the same time, but there's no question that BFRPG was released in public first, and was even playable first. Partly that's because the OSRIC team wanted a "finished" product written the old-fashioned way... they weren't steeped in the Open Source way like I am.

I believe OSRIC first saw print some time in 2009; BFRPG was in print in February 2007. We have more contributors, indeed had more back then, because I always made the project open for contributors.

Labyrinth Lord was first released online and in print in 2007. Seems like it was late summer or early fall when I first heard about it, but I'm not sure how long it was out at that point.

They both benefited from my project in one very specific way... I was the first penguin to jump into the water, and the killer whale didn't eat me. I'm sure their marketing was easier because of that... they didn't have to play up the SRD connection.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah wrote:
They both benefited from my project in one very specific way... I was the first penguin to jump into the water, and the killer whale didn't eat me. I'm sure their marketing was easier because of that... they didn't have to play up the SRD connection.
That was one of the points I was trying to make. When you created BFRPG, no one knew how WOTC was going to treat the clone writers. There was some things going on that made it seem like they were going to be dropping the hammer on people, but they didn't do anything once you released and teh flood gates were open.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Okay. Didn't know that. Well, that's not really the most important thing.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Dimirag wrote:I don't see BFRPG as a retro-clone or simulacrum, it has enough of itself to stand as a game alone. To me, BF is BF, and the beauty is that it lets the GM to make of BF their own BF by customizing everything the GM wants to.
Agreed. But BFRPG is definitely B/X (BECMI and ad&d) compatible. d20 is not. I've tried (not without a lot of conversion.) I can sort of get ideas from d20 (feats, etc) but the numbers in d20 are way inflated. Anyway enough of that. Just saying.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Wow. I knew it was before Chris, but I didn't realize it was a full three years before.
Love this history. Cool.
Thanks,
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:Having said that, yesterday I discovered the Save or Die podcast for the first time. I discovered it by way of a discussion on the OSRGaming.org forum, where they mentioned that the host of Save or Die doesn't consider BFRPG a retro-clone because we're "based on the D20 3.5 SRD."

Which is idiotic, as ALL clones/simulacrums/neoclones/etc. are based on that SRD (hence the OGL, etc.). I've listened to some of their past episodes regarding retroclones and it's obvious they barely flipped through let alone read any of the games they "review". Total waste of listener time, would be better spent listening to Spellburn instead.
Trashcan

Post by Trashcan »

I note that DM Mike on the OSRGaming.org forums has offered to review BFRPG, and was musing that perhaps Solo might wish to come aboard and discuss the game. Which, from where I'm sitting, sounds like progress.

Another forum to discuss the game and hear people praise its merits can only be a good thing.

In any event, I hope that the Save or Die appearance works out.
teaman

Post by teaman »

I've played once with Mike and Liz (over Skype) and have contributed pieces to SOD podcast. They are good folks and I think you'll get your shot Chris.

BFRPG has many of the options from AD&D, combined with the sleekness of Moldvay/Cook/Marsh Basic. It's old school in my book, and what I am running my next campaign with. (Starting right after Thanksgiving on Skype).

We've been running B/X for three years, but keep hitting the fact that PC's get REALLY powerful around level 10. It's hard for me to keep them challenged in a fight. And the Mystic is just a combat blender. I like how the Great Way Adepts advance like Magic Users to reign them in a little bit.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I am excited about something new, and BFRPG is much more preferably than trying to relearn D&D 5E.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games