Converting mephits

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
ibldedibble

Converting mephits

Post by ibldedibble »

Hey!

I'm trying to convert mephits from the SRD to BFRPG for an upcoming campaign and according to the SRD they have cone-shaped breath attacks that are 10-15 feet.
What I'm wondering though is if that's length, width or both?
Also, we're playing with 5 feet = 1 square, so how would that cone look? If it's 15 feet long, is it one square, three squares and three squares or one square, one square and then three squares? If it's 10 feet long, would it be one square and then three squares?

Just wondering what your preferences are, I haven't really used any monsters with cone-shaped breath attacks before, so this will be a new one for me. :)

//Ibl
SmootRK

Re: Converting mephits

Post by SmootRK »

It is just a little peeve of mine, that we avoid converting from 3e/4e+ whenever possible. There are plenty of 1e and 2e materials that can be more easily converted. Mephits appear in Fiend Folio? (or is it MM2?) or perhaps look to Planescape material for a little more interesting write ups.

As to cones, others may have ideas. I don't generally use grids, so I wing a lot of that sort of stuff.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
ibldedibble

Post by ibldedibble »

Sadly I don't have access to any of the old books, which is why I went for the best/closest thing I could find.
Though after reading your reply I did decided to look in OSRIC to find that they indeed had them there, not exactly like I wanted them, but easy enough to convert and do some small modifications to, so thanks for the tip. :)
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

If the cone is 15 feet long, then it is three squares in length on a 5 foot grid. Since it is a cone shape and spreads outward it would effect 1 square, then two squares, and finally 3 squares.

As far as converting, it's true that it is easiest to convert monsters from AD&D. But if you really want to convert from 3.0 or 3.5 there is a help page for that in the Olde Dungeoneer's Almanack on page 36.

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/Ol ... ack-r5.pdf
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

ibldedibble wrote:Sadly I don't have access to any of the old books, which is why I went for the best/closest thing I could find.
Though after reading your reply I did decided to look in OSRIC to find that they indeed had them there, not exactly like I wanted them, but easy enough to convert and do some small modifications to, so thanks for the tip. :)
No worries... I just know it is far easier to convert from earlier editions than from 3e+.... and you can see this now yourself via use of OSRIC as a base. Using SRD or 4e is like trying to fly a kite, but backtracking the aerodynamics from a commercial airliner.

And Welcome, I only just realized you are new around here. :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?