Review of BFRPG (May 31, 2014)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mr Dark

Re: Review of BFRPG (May 31, 2014)

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Hey all,

This is the guy that wrote the review so I wanted to say thanks for the kind words. Second, I want to say that the 'issues' I had with the game say nothing against the game itself or the designers. They are more personal feelings about things and are easily houseruled as are many things in the game.

So don't think I am banging on it just to be a jerk. I feel the game can be ran with no changes to the rules at all just fine. I just have a few things I wanted to change to fit the campaign I am working on. All in all you guys have done a great job on this whole project and I am very happy to see what has come out of all this.

Keep up the good work!
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
-1warrior

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:04 pm

I liked the review.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
dymondy2k

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Jered Taikith wrote:I love BFRPG the way it is in the Core Rules book 2nd edition. I totally get the reason why everything is the way it is in the book. I can see myself 35 years ago, if the book had come out then, saying "Yes! Finally! Someone who understands what D&D is about and can clearly explain it! Woohoo!"
This is exactly how I felt.. I like that the only thing that needed an overhaul was the descending AC which I thought was a PITA back when I used it..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
-1warrior

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 pm

I never liked it, but I got used to it. I also didn't like how in BECMI each race was a class (except for humans).

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Mr Dark wrote:So don't think I am banging on it just to be a jerk.
Egad, nothing of the sort! It appeared, to my perhaps slightly biased perceptions, to be a well-thought-out, well-written review. You do indeed indicate that your differences of opinion are a matter of personal preference... I could ask for nothing more.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 pm

http://rachelghoulgamestuff.blogspot.com/
Rachel Bonuses: Now with pretty

http://www.gofundme.com/8gawy0
Currently panhandling for my transition/medical bills.
-1warrior

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:02 pm

This is a fairly good review. He speaks pretty highly of Basic Fantasy.

Mr Dark

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Instead of starting a new thread with the whole 'I'm back, here's what's been going on stuff' I thought I would just post here.

I had a bad case of burnout over the past few months and have been staying somewhat quiet. It turns out my frustrations with more AD&D style games led partially to this and I finally had to admit that a certain game was not all I thought it was cracked up to be.

It was during this I found my BFRPG books and flipped through them and realized that this was what I wanted. I have begun working on a campaign for next year that I will be running at a game store in Lebanon, MO. Most of the players are also going to be beginners which actually will help in the long run.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
teaman

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Here's my review of BFRPG:

I read the 5E players handbook, liked a few things. It's new and shiny, but it's too much for me.

I'm running BFRPG.

For the long haul.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at drivethrurpg.com. (Soon he'll be able to purchase the name brand peanut butter!). Come take a look if you have some time.

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games