saving Throws and other issues

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
dymondy2k

Re: saving Throws and other issues

Post by dymondy2k »

Metroknight wrote:If he rolls in secret and claims his character hits all the time why not do the same with him. Make your rolls in secret and claim the creature hits him also. Explain to him that till he rolls in the open, you will roll in secret also.

If he complains about it throw it back in his face the same complaints he is making. This will cause the result of him rolling in the open or him leaving. Either result should improve your mood and enjoyment of the game.
Dymond approves of this idea! :idea:
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Metroknight wrote:Actually Jered, the clamoring of players is still there. On roll20, the player to gm ratio is still about 10 to 1 or higher.
This is good to know. Then my premise is still valid. By the very fact that folks are clamoring the DM has control over who plays in their game. That is a very powerful thing and shouldn't be squandered. Business people would say it is a sellers market. Heh.
Robb_d20

Post by Robb_d20 »

-1warrior wrote:Tis true. That's why I always get stuck DMing people. Fortunately, I'm one of the rare people who likes DMing more than playing.
Same here! That's how I ended up DMing almost every game I have played in for 3.5, and for every game of BFRPG I've been a part of... I'm not complaining though ;)
Jered Taikith wrote:The DM is the rulebook. Yes he uses rule books as guides. Yes others might also have those rulebooks, might have played using them, might even have DM'd themselves using them but in your game, in your campaign YOU are the rulebook. Immediately shut down (handle this gently) rules lawyers. Allowing a rules lawyer to open their yap does a) pulls you off your position of authority, b) ties up the game, c) jerks you and the other players out of this communal game of make believe and plops you smack dab into the middle of a courtroom. A rules lawyer is someone who, generally, hasn't figured out how to let go of the real world around them and submerse themselves into the make believe. If someone thinks they can do better fine. Let them. Just let them know everything that goes into a making a campaign a success.
I bolded "real world" in your quote, because I had someone worse than a rules lawyer- I had a logic lawyer. And a BROKEN LOGIC lawyer at that! Examples include (paraphrased):
"Yeah, but I said I was being careful, so I shouldn't have even needed to roll that save for not fall in the trap"
"But think about it- isn't it more likely they hit the orc next to me from that angle? So what if they rolled a 19."
"My guy has been a swordsman for years, he should have a higher Base Attack Bonus even if he's only level 2."

And so forth... it wasn't arguing rules, it was arguing AGAINST THE RULES in the favor of bad logic to try and give themselves an edge. I eventually just had to say "this isn't the real world, there are dragons and elves and magic, and he rolled high enough to hit you- end of story". He got a little better but still did it a little while he was playing... He's actually a player in my BFRPG game now (this was in 3.5) and he's a lot more casual about it so at least I got through to him it seems.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I admit to enjoying DMing games like BFRPG over the crunchiness that is Pathfinder. When I have to DM for PFS I am so stressed out because there is so much that you have to remember..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Same here. I don't care for the really complicated gaming systems. That's why I couldn't get into 3rd Edition D&D.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Warrior, reading your post just now made me think up a new personal rule of thumb: if an rpg takes more time to read the rules than it does to play then it isn't worth playing.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Jered Taikith wrote:Warrior, reading your post just now made me think up a new personal rule of thumb: if an rpg takes more time to read the rules than it does to play then it isn't worth playing.
I've gone by a similar rule for years.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)