Roll20 Update - Character Sheets

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Roll20 Update - Character Sheets

Post by Hywaywolf »

Roll20 just did there Data Delve update and they now have interactive character sheets. None for BFRPG, LL or B/X, but they are expecting that users will be adding a bunch as time goes on. I just played around a little bit with the 1st edition one and it looks like it will be pretty easy to use.
-1warrior

Re: Roll20 Update - Character Sheets

Post by -1warrior »

This looks promising.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

How do you get to them? I haven't had the chance to go there today.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

nevermind found it.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Hopefully they get Labyrinth Lord sheets soon.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Gold

Post by Gold »

Chris G said on Roll20 thread that he's working on BFRPG character sheet,

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/91676 ... ost-916768

Any word from Solomoriah on here about that yet? Anything we can do to help speed this along? I'm really wanting the sheet to come out, at this point, with a bunch of new players in my game, I am really on the hunt for this char sheet!

Using a Swords & Wizardry sheet to run people through a "BFRPG" game on there has been... inconvenient. If you can imagine.

I and my players will be so excited when a BFRPG character sheet finally comes to Roll20.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's not done yet because it's INCREDIBLY TEDIOUS. Ack.

It's hard to properly test a character sheet created by their standard method. Once I have it done, I'll have to post a "pull request" and hope that I've done everything correctly or they may kick it back at me. I use git to manage my own projects all the time, but I've never really had to coordinate with anyone else before so I'm very uncertain about it.

Honestly, I have no idea how anyone who isn't a developer in the first place would ever get through it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Gold

Post by Gold »

Solomoriah wrote:It's not done yet because it's INCREDIBLY TEDIOUS. Ack.

It's hard to properly test a character sheet created by their standard method.
Sorry for all the obstacles you are encountering with the github for this, Chris.

Is there anything I can do to help? (I don't know github.) I have prodded on the Roll20 forum asking for someone to step up and help you.

There are at least a dozen author-creators of working character sheets for other games on that site. Surely someone can assist you to make the process easier. They have already done it and practiced the process. It sounds like you already know what you are doing with sheet design (CSS or whatever is used there) but you mainly need a faster or easier Github "pull request" process for getting versions of the sheet posted for testing, so you can revise and re-post as needed.

Would a Roll20 subscription as Supporter or Mentor help you with this? I will be happy to pay and donate some months of subscription to you, if that helps. I think that subscribers MIGHT have an easier time with testing character sheets in development. I don't know if this is true, but if it is true, I will be very happy to send you a subscription. You would still have to "sign up" with your credit card to access the donation though, so I wanted to ask you first. Please tell me you accept this if you think it might help.

If you want to reach out on Roll20, please ask Riley. He is the principle developer and coder of Roll20 and he is a very helpful man. I think that he will help you. Also Gauss, the moderator on the Roll20 forum, or Kristin, another moderator. Final idea would be ask some of the other sheet creators for help, like Dylan G (creator of AD&D 2E sheet, he has been active on the forum and could be persuaded to help us with BFRPG).

In conclusion, I see that you are trying, and I don't know if anyone can really help or if this is just some kind of waiting game with pull requests. Whatever it takes I would really like to see the sheet & get to use it next weekend, if possible, as I have a big new game starting up and really want to present the Players with a proper sheet.

GM Gold :geek:
Gold

Post by Gold »

Dear Chris,

A moderator on Roll20 said that you need a Mentor subscription on Roll20 to test the character sheet.

I have just sent you a Gift Subscription to Roll20 so that you can become Mentor for a period of time.

You would need to enter a credit card to accept the subscription. Please enter a credit card, accept the subscription, then immediately CANCEL the subscription in Roll20 so that your credit doesn't get charged at the expiration of the Gift amount. By doing this you will be able to use the gift subscription I am sending, and you can be a Mentor on this site, which will allow you to test character sheets more easily. Hitting CANCEL will not end the subscription period I'm paying for; CANCEL will simply prevent a recurring charge at the end of the subscription period.

From GM Gold :geek:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hokay. Thank you, Gold, for saving me any more time wasted.

I started with the character sheet download from github and created a completely new sheet for BFRPG. It looks like this on my screen:

Sadly, it disintegrates on Roll20's site. Seems they don't support floating divs. So now I have to go back and rebuild it out of tables.

If I had posted that as a pull on github and it had been accepted... I'd have been mortally embarrassed. So again, thanks, Gold.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org