Campaign Settings

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
-1warrior

Campaign Settings

Post by -1warrior »

Do you use generic ones or make up your own? Or perhaps use published ones? I'm trying to decide upon a good campaign setting for a campaign I'm running, and I could use some input.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Metroknight

Re: Campaign Settings

Post by Metroknight »

I take a premade setting and rip it apart then rebuild it to suit my play style. I have yet to have a premade campaign survive me intact and that is before the players start doing their things to the world.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Interesting.

I usually don't mess with a pre-made setting too much before I use it (though I have done it a few times). My players tend to destroy worlds, you see. They're rather reckless, and tend to end up killing potential allies rather than enemies. And, they're nearly impossible to stop. I need a setting that will be able to survive them! :roll:

Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

-1warrior wrote:Interesting.
I need a setting that will be able to survive them! :roll:
I have yet to find a setting that survives unchanged after contact with the player's and that is the nature of the game.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I wouldn't have it any other way. (I was being sarcastic earlier). It still is true that my players are kind of reckless. Anyway, I really just want recommendations about good campaign settings, or advice about making your own. I've made my own campaign worlds before, but they never turn out too well.

Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I tend to modify settings to suit my taste or just create my own setting (just the part needed)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I took Morgansfort and detailed it aka changed it. I ran one game where the group used morgansfort as a base while the explored the area. The old fort ruins, I changed (I didn't like the dungeon) and had two children go to the island with a stolen boat. The group went after them. They discovered a necromancer and a small group of orcs working together in the ruins and dealt with that while rescuing the children.

They then went west in the woods only to discover a horde of orcs getting prepared to attack the fort. By the time they got back to the fort, it was to late for the attack happened and while it was driven off, the cost to the locals was tremendous. The group made friends with a small clan of Lizardmen who joined the fight. This happened because the orcs and goblins crossed through the swamp which the lizardmen claimed as their territory.

More things happened after that but that just shows take the bare bones and flesh it out.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

This is an idea that I could use as a basis for something else. I was actually thinking about using the world given in the Morgansfort dungeon already. Thanks!

LtTibbles

Post by LtTibbles »

I'm a big fan of Mystara's Gazateer series even if you're not planning on using the actual setting there is so much in those books that you could use for your own setting.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I like premade campaign settings. Since most of the initial set up is done it leaves me free to adjust things to suit the PCs.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360