Hi there

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
ratdebois

Hi there

Post by ratdebois »

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here. I came across BFRPG a few nights ago while I was looking for something different to throw at my gaming group. I really wish I would have found it a few days earlier, before I dropped $50 on the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia. I do have a few questions about it, however. I have taken a few cursory looks through the 2nd edition PDF, and I like what I see, but I was wondering...it is compatable with my old OD&D modules, like Keep on The Borderlands? From what I can tell it is, basically just a matter of flipping ACs around for the most part. Also, are there any guidelines for creating/converting classes? I was looking for a way to convert either the OD&D Mystic class or the 1st Ed Monk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the community here.
SmootRK

Re: Hi there

Post by SmootRK »

Only minor deviations from what you see in KotB... like you said AC. Another factor that might present is Race does not equal class, so some npc's might need a refresher. But generally, I would suggest that you don't need to do much other than wing-it here and there, rather than bother to go through modules and such to 're-write'.

I don't think anyone has opted to redo the monk/mystic officially to BFRPG, so if you do some work towards that please share so that the community can assist (and ultimately utilize as well). Recently (after a couple of threads I read on Dragonsfoot), I was thinking that Oriental Adventures material might serve as inspiration for more BFRPG stuff to share. The Monk would be a good start in that.

Welcome to BFRPG and our little party here.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

WELCOME! I second SmootRK's thoughts on sharing any conversions you've done. Also take a peek around, I believe that there are conversion materials for certain adventures see JDN's stuff here for starters:

http://newcenturycomputers.net/basicfan ... 3842416eaf
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
ratdebois

Post by ratdebois »

I appreciate the pointers, guys, and thanks for the welcome. You know, I think I might just have to dust off my 3E Oriental Adventures and go to the whip on that. But not till I order my hardcopy of BFRPG. :D Something else I was looking at was converting all the monsters from Monster Manual I through V. I'm not totally sure how the SRD works, so I have no idea if I could legally share any conversions I make aside from what I have in the SRD document.

I have been reading through the PDF, and I am really impressed. It is just what I have been looking for. Too bad I dropped $50 on the RC, which just so happened to be sitting on my doorstep when I got in from work today. Yup, I think it's time to start work on the monk/mystic conversion.

When I get something put together, I'll shoot it up here to the boards for you guys to pick apart :)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think the SRD monsters have been converted by someone already, although I prefer to go to roots or re-imagine creatures completely rather than draw from 3rd or (wince) 4th edition sources. The SRD material is completely usable in the mean time. There is a Monster Supplement #2 in the works that has loads of new monsters as well.
ratdebois

Post by ratdebois »

SmootRK wrote: (wince) 4th edition sources.
LOL I couldn't agree more! I went out and bought 4E when it released, started DMing a campaign for a few months, then the group just kinda fell apart. Went back and tried to play 4E with some other friends a few weeks back, and the game just turned my stomach. The mechanics just give me a headache :( The game is just too MMOish. I know, I know, it's the same thing everyone else says, but it sums 4E up perfectly.

You mentioned a 2nd Monster Supplement. I have scoured the downloads section here and haven't found the first one, but then again, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other ;) so I may have overlooked something.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The 2nd Monster Supplement is still being worked on... the relevant thread can be found here: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 42&t=35223 but there is material that has been developed privately. Sycarion should make an appearance here at some point, and he will likely give an update on the status of the document.

The SRD Monster Supplement can be located here: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 42&t=19239
and somewhere should be a link to an actual pdf presentation... found it: http://basicfantasy.org/staging/maddog/ ... Beasts.pdf

No idea if there are more recent documents (with more editing and proofing finished) or with more artwork. Art is always needed for stuff like this.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The first monster supplement has been combined into the Dungeoneers Almanac: http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/Ol ... ack-r4.pdf

or you can get the original supplement alone from one of the links found here: http://www.basicfantasy.org/almanack2008.html
ratdebois

Post by ratdebois »

Oh cool. I snagged the Almanack the other night when I was on my DL spree. So far I really like everything I see.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

yes, BFRPG is the perfect game as far as I am concerned. The best of the new and old. I haven't been playing much of anything lately, but I hope to get back to it later this year after I get through with a few things.