A couple of ideas I had

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SpyderTattoo

A couple of ideas I had

Post by SpyderTattoo »

While I was rolling up a new character I had a couple of house-rule ideas. These ideas come to me from game mechanics that are in the Star Wars SAGA edition. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys that have more experience with this game's mechanics.

AC could be calculated as such, AC= Armor bonus + (shield) + Dex bonus + 1/2 character lvl (round down).

Damage could be calculated as Melee: weapon dmg + Str bonus ( 2X Str bonus if 2 Handed)+ 1/2 character lvl (round down)

I think the 1/2 lvl to the dmg would help offset the AC 1/2 lvl bonus if PC's were to be fighting humanoid NPC's.
I believe that a the higher a character gets in lvl's, the more deadly he is. In the current rules, once the Dmg is established for a character, there is no way to do more damage as the character progresses. Your abilities don't increase, a weapon's base damage doesn't increase... A character with a scimitar and a 17 Str (+2), gets a 1d8+2 to damage. This will never change. It doesn't seem right that the same character at lvl 10 would do the same damage.
So in my house-rule example, the same character at lvl 10 would have a 1d8+7 to dmg. This character at lvl 5 would have a 1d8+4

Please review and explain if this would be too powerful. Again, I'm very new to this game and I probably don't understand all the intricacies to the reasoning behind all the rules.
SmootRK

Re: A couple of ideas I had

Post by SmootRK »

It seems like a reasonable house-rule, but I would think that the bonus due to level needs to be adjusted for class. For instance, Fighters might get +1/2 levels, while Clerics and Thieves get +1/3 levels, and MU gets +1/4 levels (with the exception that an MU gets the +1/2 levels with spell damage).

With weapons or physical attacks it just makes more sense that fighters get the best effect, and it would be unfair for the other classes to (at higher levels) approach the fighter's ability with attacks. However, attack spells being the forte of MUs, then that trend reverses with the MU getting best bonus. Clerics and Thieves are middle of the road in either sense (at least to me).

Do Monsters get any sort of damage boost in this sense?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

If a characters chance to hit increases as level increases then average damage done per round increases as well. You are fixing something that isn't broken. Of course, your game, your rules rule.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

hjmartin70 wrote:If a characters chance to hit increases as level increases then average damage done per round increases as well. You are fixing something that isn't broken. Of course, your game, your rules rule.
Technically this is correct. And I agree, it depends on the exact nature or pace desired in your game's combats.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?