PbP The Ruins of Undermountain, gauging interest.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jandolar

Re: PbP The Ruins of Undermountain, gauging interest.

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 pm

I hadn't considered the QCG. I do like that table and if it'll make the character generation faster we can use it but I'd like each person to develop their own back story. I feel it'll make the character more fun and appealing to the player. I found a dice roller from WoTC that is easy to use and have it book marked so I can use it to make the rolls in game. I looked at RPOL.net and it looks neat but might be more than I can handle. I'd prefer to play here so that the community at large can offer advice and help keep me in line with the spirit of BFRPG.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
chiisu81

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 am

If you want to make the dice rolls for us I'm cool with that. I would also prefer to have it on these forums, I'm not keen on registering on more and more sites these days. I totally forgot about the QCG, I would be in for that. Backstory for a cleric? Hmmmm...
Blazeguard

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Well, I'm already in several games but I'm a sucker for punishment. ;)

1) What do you want to play and why?
Well, dymond hasn't said what he wants to play yet but I wouldn't mind playing either a Magic-User or a Fighter. I am definitely more comfortable playing a Fighter. I am playing a Magic-User in another game and am finding it a little difficult but I don't consider myself to very creative so playing a more difficult character can help force me out of my comfort zone and hopefully get those creative muscles working (at least that's the idea).

tl;dr
I'll take whatever dymond doesn't want. :P

2) How often can you post?
I should be able to post once a day for the most part but definitely once every other day for sure.

3) What do you expect from me as a DM?
Fair rulings, opportunities for creativity, and keeping the game moving and flowing smoothly.

4) How many PC's do you think will make the game fun and let it flow?

I think all the games I'm in have 4 or 5 players and that seems to be a good number.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Sorin_777

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Jandolar wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure I follow the idea of spending XP on abilities, is that a purely Star Wars thing? Either way I think a back story is a good idea and we can work out some character hooks in the plot line later on. Since this is my first attempt at DMing a PbP I'll have to focus on good descriptive story telling and keeping the characters engaged in the present situation, and get pretty darn good at it, before I start dredging up any nasty little skeletons from their closets. :)

I think you get the idea, my suggestion was the storytelling element not really the game mechanic. In that game, leveling up is kind of video game like. Your XP goes to buy skills that you as a player have control over, instead of increased race/class based attack bonus, hit dice, and saving throws a-la BFRPG. I think the idea that your background is used by the GM, and that this is a built in game device, is a brilliant idea overall: an adventurer creates a reputation that can come back to haunt them.
Hywaywolf

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm

I am in several PBPs already but I think one of them, the longest running, has died. So sad. And another one moves like its crippled and stunned, but its still breathing. If you don't have enough players to get started, you can add me in.
Delver

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 am

I would be happy to play any character, but only on RPOL.net simply because I'm already over there and used to it. I run a BFRPG there and I'd be happy to tutor/mentor anyone who thinks it is overwhelming. (It's really not, it's just designed for the PbP format unlike a regular forum) That probably sounds snobbish, but I've tried other role-playing sites, and they all seem to fall short in some ways.

I might make a couple of suggestions for you regarding PbP, regardless of wherever you decide to play.

1) Consistency is key. If it's one post per day, keep it that way. If you can't post that day, try to drop your players a quick message telling them. We live in an age of A.D.D. and players will lose interest quickly.

2) Also, give your players some ownership in the game... let them bend the rules somehow starting out with a magic item or family heirloom or something that gives them a reason for doing a backstory and a reason for keeping that PC alive!

3) Streamline rolls - GM rolls for all initiatives, and many of the checks unless a serious character-centered choice is involved.

4) Make combat short and deadly. Fudge when needed for the sake of the story.

5) Give fun rewards like +1's to next rolls for good RP'ing or clever tactics or multiple crits in a row, etc.

6) Never leave them in a spot where they don't have something to do, unless you tell them you're doing so and that they are free to act. I realize that it is the player's job to 'do stuff', but the GM can help speed the game along by pushing forward. For example if there is a room that's essentially empty, narrate them through it so that you don't spend a couple of days making perception checks that will gain them nothing.

7) Every time they roll, it should be with a purpose, or it's a waste of time. Wasted time kills PbP games.

8) One more thing I use is expedited XP gain. I use a very simple method I've mentioned in another post, but however you do it, you need to keep them progressing, even if you have to fudge it a little (or a lot).

Good luck with your game!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
Hywaywolf

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 am

About sites for playing PBPs. I have played and currently playing quite a few PBPs on this forum, on dragonsfoots forum, on Mayhem gaming, on roll20, on play-by-post.org and on other sites for gaming. The key element in every game has been the Players and DM and nothing else has come within a longbow shot (long range) of that for making the game good or bad.

Now there's a difference when it comes to live gaming when the players roll and the DM needs to be quick getting up maps and notes. I prefer Roll20 for that. I had tried several others but none were as easy to learn/get started as a player than Roll20. I am sure they all worked great once you learned the system but I have decided that Roll20 is my online table of choice. And I understand why someone wouldn't want to play on any other table than the one they are used to, especially if the gaming there is plentiful. No sense starting someplace new when what you have works for you.

About GMing. another thing that I think is important is making sure that, as a GM, when you make a post that your posts provides an opportunity for some action by the players. Don't say, "you have followed the tracks through the forest for 3 hours and have seen nothing." then end your post. What can the players say but "we keep following" or why would they have started following in the first place. Either let them follow the tracks until they find the thing that left them, they cross another path, its starts getting dark or some other event that they can react to.
Jandolar

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I'll start the printing tonight and have this week to study.

So far we have these five brave souls listed as players. If you guys all want to play I'll ask Solo to set us up a PbP thread and we'll get started. Should be able to get characters generated, OOC chat started and some fluff done before the end of the week.
Sorin_777
chiisu81
dymondy2k
Blazeguard
Hywaywolf

Comments? Concerns?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
dymondy2k

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:26 am

I gotta admit its been a LONG time since I've played my old stand by race and class.. Dwarf Fighter
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Jandolar

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

dymondy2k wrote:I gotta admit its been a LONG time since I've played my old stand by race and class.. Dwarf Fighter
I've got a special place in my heart for Dwarves. They are without a doubt my favorite race to play although I lean more towards a Cleric than a Fighter.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18