Thank You

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
wisdomsbane

Thank You

Post by wisdomsbane »

I have been searching for a rules light system for my kids to learn to play RPGs. They keep seeing other systems and wanting me to sit down and play with them (and have since they were each old enough to read).
I remember my dad's first edition DnD books and how much simpler they were to figure out when I was younger, and this seems even simpler. This is a system my kids and I could easily learn to play together.
So, thank you all very much. Not only for the basic system, but also for the supplemental items that can be added as my kids and I learn the system better. And I will try to keep detailed notes on the stuff my kids and I come up with so that we can try to add to things here.

On a sort of side note, I love the basic idea. I like the simplicity of the system (although I admit I've only skimmed through it and started trying to create a few sample characters to start getting a feel for the mechanics of the game). I also like the fact that it doesn't cost anything, as I currently have a very small budget. But the best of all is the fact that it is a community effort, and I know that if I were to submit an idea I have for a creature or an adventure, or what have you, yall aren't going to try to make money off of my hard work (since you aren't trying to make money off your own).

With all of that said, I would like to ask if anyone has any tips for someone who has to start as a GM with an unfamiliar system, and/or someone who has to teach the system to kids (let alone inexperienced gamers).

Also, if this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry, but it didn't seem like there was another section to the forum for this. I won't mind it being moved if necessary.
I never cry over spilled milk. But... spill my coffee... I dare you.
Sorin_777

Re: Thank You

Post by Sorin_777 »

Earlier when someone asked for beginning GM advice, I pointed them towards some game footage including one of the grognard patriarchs. ButI think in this case a little light humor is in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnjNNeI018

In his rant, he equates D&D (and all of RPG's in general) as "playing pretend". So this is my (non-technical) advice, one dad to another. It is real easy to resort to "You enter a room, you see a monster, roll a d20" type of play. It gets old SUPER quick. Rely on story telling, and be spontaneous. Allow your kids the chance to talk their way our of a fight, if the monster's type so allows.

When we recently started playing, the party consisted of my wife, and three kids aging 17, 14, and 8. The 8 year old has been the most fun to play with, because he is so bombastic. But since it is role playing, I would allow him to get in trouble. For example if he said something at the game table, I assumed his character said it, and that in itself created some real funny interactions. Actually caused his sister to be imprisoned by monsters once, but I then allowed him a heroic rescue to it was OK.

Technically, I've eased into the rules. Our first two campaigns I didn't use an equipment list outside of weapons and armor, under the assumption that characters brought torches, matches, and food. We didn't keep time and therefore didn't pass days, so we didn't have to do the rotating night watch to guard the campsite thing. We didn't allow any extra race/class supplements at all until level three.

A big help was getting three supplements: the GM screen, Ultimate Character Tables, and Beginner's Essentials. The first two are the stripped down basics you want for character saving throws, advancement, turning undead, armor class, and damage. The third I printed out for the players to have.

My two cents, I hope something helps.
wisdomsbane

Post by wisdomsbane »

Definitely helpful, at least in the way of confirming I'm on the right track. The hardest part, I think, is going to be for me to avoid too much storytelling. But in any case, your ideas are actually pretty close to the mark of what I was actually planning on doing. I was also planning on giving them a 'guide' of whatever class they don't end up with in the group. It'll serve two purposes, helping them overcome some of the problems associated with not having a representative from all classes, as well as my being able to give them advice, without actually giving them advice. There's only three of them for now, the youngest isn't even crawling yet, and by the time that one is old enough to play, the older ones will become the teachers ^.^
On a side note, I'm a mom. The mistake is common, don't know whether nickname is more masculine than I thought or just my mode of speech, or what. :P
I never cry over spilled milk. But... spill my coffee... I dare you.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Storytelling is a big part of old school. Along with that is roleplaying. In my opinion roleplaying isn't a reflection of your thespian skills, although it can be pretty funny sometimes when players talk in character, but the real definition of roleplaying is treating your PC like its an actual person in a real world setting instead of a game piece on a playing board. Your character sheet isn't a set of tools, but is instead your PCs life story.

Too often players act as if they are carrying a hammer and everything they see is a nail. In real life setting a PC that saw two people trading in the wilderness wouldn't just kill them under the assumption that they are bandits. That would make them murderers. But so often players will set up an ambush and fire first with no information about the people they are attacking just so they can get the upper hand and "win" without taking casualties. If the DM was playing fair, no cleric in that party would be able to cast a spell or turn undead until they went back to chapel and prayed for forgiveness.

Players have a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, where roleplaying and storytelling should require the exact opposite.
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

wisdomsbane wrote: On a side note, I'm a mom. The mistake is common, don't know whether nickname is more masculine than I thought or just my mode of speech, or what. :P
You freakin go, girl. Like the guy said in the video I linked, women and gaming just wasn't a thing 30 years ago!
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

A mom who is a gamer and wants to teach her children to play RPG's.... there is hope for the universe.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Sorin_777 wrote:
wisdomsbane wrote: On a side note, I'm a mom. The mistake is common, don't know whether nickname is more masculine than I thought or just my mode of speech, or what. :P
You freakin go, girl. Like the guy said in the video I linked, women and gaming just wasn't a thing 30 years ago!
I swear I've heard Mike Mornard say there were a few of us girls who were regulars at Gary's table back in the day.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've got a female regular again after several years without.

But then, I had a customer compliment me the other day... she said I talk to male and female customers the same way. It never occurred to me to do otherwise.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I feel pretty good about turning my daughter into an RPG nerd..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony