Seriously basic magic user question(s)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Seriously basic magic user question(s)

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:A 1st level mu has the same chances of hitting an opponent as a 1st level fighter (without abilities bonus), If he carries some daggers or other proyectile weapon he can still fight at no big disadvantage.
Indeed. I often advocate to players that the MU carry a number of throwing knives (daggers), darts, etc. and I generally allow MU characters to use slings or sometimes light crossbow (and I often allow Elf ones to use Short Bows). The nice thing about BFRPG (and other 'basic' games) is that there is no proficiency "slots" to worry about. In 1e/2e, a MU has one such slot, while in BFRPG the MU is free to carry his staff and still throw daggers about, even at first level.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

In one ad&d adventure the wizarda (4th level) didn't want to cast any spell (saving them for the big boss ahead), instead he started to fire darts (at 3 per round) rolling 18, 19 and 20 all over the table. For a moment it seemed a scene fron an action movie...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

Again, many thanks for the replies, not going to quote inline and reply directly this time around but seriously thanks for the input. I have done a ton of reading over the last week, and basically realized that we never played D&D correctly back in the day. When we had low level mortality, we essentially "respawned" back in town without our stuff. Kind of like Diablo, but 10 years earlier!

How we used to play with unlimited MU spell casting, I can see was way over powered.

For tonight, we just ran the quick encounter "Beneath Brymassen". It was a great intro module and it sounds like we have an RPG playing family now, we'll ease into the larger modules soon.

In the four person party, I made one of them an elven fighter/magic user, using the BFRPG rules. The whole party was elven, and all classes were represented. I also used the level zero spell supplement, which helped immensely with my irrational and self-imposed fear of under powered magic users and clerics, for that matter.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

In the interest of heterodoxy, I don't think it'd be too unbalanced to allow a magic user to have use of 1d4-damage zaps and minor cantrip-like effects at will so long as he carries a wand or staff of his own making, if carrying around a belt full of knives doesn't fit your vision. (I'd make the cost of suitable wandmaking materials equivalent to a holy symbol.)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:In the interest of heterodoxy, I don't think it'd be too unbalanced to allow a magic user to have use of 1d4-damage zaps and minor cantrip-like effects at will so long as he carries a wand or staff of his own making, if carrying around a belt full of knives doesn't fit your vision. (I'd make the cost of suitable wandmaking materials equivalent to a holy symbol.)
As do I. In fact, I think I am going to adjust my House Rules to incorporate the idea you mention for a special want or focus device in order to use the "Arcane Bolt" as I call it. Wand is fine, but I can imagine other sorts of amulets/talismans/skull (witch, necromancer, etc.), crystal/jewel/gem (illusionist, good witch, etc.), or even a personal cudgel/cane/staff (engraved, embellished, and otherwise made very personal to the caster).
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

Lass, I love the idea of the low level zaps! Wonder though if 1d4 could be too powerful, that's almost magic missile territory. I might make some comments under the level 0 supplement as well, as I think the clerical cantrips were far better.

For example, the bless meal is incredible, as you can give an entire party 1hp of healing. Plus cure minor wounds is a 1hp heal by touch. Even "call to worship" is great if a higher level cleric has a number of fighting followers, that could be used as a town rally against an incoming undead horde for example.

Magic user cantrips on the other hand are more trickery at my first read through, like opening unlocked doors and tying knots. On the plus side, I see the MU as using their intelligence to smartly use their cantrips towards their advantage. What my daughter's elven fighter/magic user did was use the irritate cantrip against an orc who had not seen the party, in order to force initiative.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Sorin_777 wrote:Lass, I love the idea of the low level zaps! Wonder though if 1d4 could be too powerful, that's almost magic missile territory. I might make some comments under the level 0 supplement as well, as I think the clerical cantrips were far better.
1d4's the same damage as a thrown dagger, which mages get as is, or a sling, which it's not uncommon for houserulers to allow them use of, so I think it should be fine. If it feels like too much, though, there's no reason why it couldn't be 1d3.

As to the cantrips, I agree with you, particularly about the cleric ones-- just a mite too good, IMO, I probably wouldn't have them at my table.
Templar Si

Post by Templar Si »

As long as the 'Zap' includes a shake to hit It sounds like a great idea(we also have allowed M-U's to use slings) but maybe 1d3 is fair as you don't have to worry about Ammo :) .I often wonder what the Harry Potter generation think about D&D M-U's being SO one dimentional,1 spell a day chosen in the morning!
Tower is whats left of a Knights Templar site at Temple Bruer(its on Wikipedia).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree. 1d3 is what I use, with the main consideration is that they need not worry about ammo. At later levels I allow additional choices of damage type (fire, cold, etc.)
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I use the arcane bolt in my pbp game.

It does 1d3 and has the range of 10/20/30. It is treated as a range weapon which means a roll to hit but you get to use your BAB also.