Damage by Class, possibility

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
scrollock

Damage by Class, possibility

Post by scrollock »

I like the idea of damage by class. It puts less focus on who can use what and makes it easy to include a bunch of different weapons with out much work.
Does anyone see a need for a damage by class supplement?
Would this fit better in an existing supplement?
Does anyone already have a house rule for this?
Dimirag

Re: Damage by Class, possibility

Post by Dimirag »

O can see it both ways. As a supplement or as a added part to a existing one. Depending on tje size of the info. A couple of days ago i had the same thought taking the classic monk's damage system. So, my take would be:

Each class has an initial damage die. Based on the attack bonus the damage die is improved.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
scrollock

Post by scrollock »

We have three size types for weapons Small, Medium, and Large. And we have three basic class types Fighter, Cleric or Thief, and Magic-User

My thought was something like this:
Fighter: S 1d6, M 1d8, L 1d10
Cleric, Thief, Fighter\Magic User: S 1d4, M 1d6, L 1d8
Magic User: S 1d4, M 1d6, L 1d6
(I put the Fighter\Magic-User with the Cleric, Thief since they are already really powerful.)

Dimirag,
I like the sound of adding a damage bonus based on attack bonus.
I would want to favor the fighter since attacking well is their big thing.
This is what I would think.
AB +3 = +1 Damage
AB +6 = +2 Damage
AB +9 = +3 Damage

These could be used together or separately really.
Let me know what you think.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Microlite has a damage by class like yours.
The damage bonus sounds ok. As fighters will get higher and better attack bonus they'll get better damage bonus at faster rate.
You have to be careful that the damage bonus gained at higher level doesnt become huge. Putting a cap to the bonus is a good idea. Or just work a damage bonus progression that you feel ok.

You can give the damage by size as one option and include other mods for using weapons on the single damage by class. Like hit bonus, ac bonus, etc. So a fighter skilled in daggers gets something for what he uses instead o loosing potential damage.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

A super-light damage by class system I've used in the past is that every class uses its base hit die as its damage value-- brings a double meaning to the term "hit die"!

Of course for me it's a matter of default house ruling that thieves have d6 HP. Either way a paragraph to that effect in Combat Options might be enough.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Dimirag wrote:Microlite has a damage by class like yours.
The damage bonus sounds ok. As fighters will get higher and better attack bonus they'll get better damage bonus at faster rate.
You have to be careful that the damage bonus gained at higher level doesnt become huge. Putting a cap to the bonus is a good idea. Or just work a damage bonus progression that you feel ok.
That table covers the whole range: Fighters get +1 dmg at level 4, +2 at lvl8, +3 at lvl16. Thief/Cleric get +1 at 5, +2 at 12. MU gets +1 at 6, +2 at 16. I don't think that would break things too badly at those levels.
Go with a smile!