GM's - how often to you "cheat?"

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jandolar

Re: GM's - how often to you "cheat?"

Post by Jandolar »

Solomoriah wrote:
Jandolar wrote:The Paladin made a serious misjudgment call and ended up doing a slide down 150' of "razor tube". When she hit the ground outside she was breathing but bleeding out at a rate of 10hp/round.
Egad. What was this, Tomb of Horrors? No "normal" dungeon should contain something that lethal, unless it is in fact an intentional "killer dungeon" like the aforementioned module.
It was in the module I was running. Something "Nightspire". I'll see if I can find it. It was not my intention to kill off that character.

AH! Just re-read that. It should have been 15' not 150' and she came out 50' above ground.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I was thinking the same... 150' and it would be a pulpy mess!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Longman

Post by Longman »

Basically I take the same approach as what Smoot said earlier. I'll make it easy for players to do stuff, if it's a good idea. Especially out of combat. If it's a really good idea I won't even roll, I'll just say it worked.

That's kinda cheating. Or, maybe it's in the spirit of 1e? I'm not sure.

But if they're in combat and the monster rolls a 20...that's gotta stand, even if it could kill them. Otherwise, you are just encouraging players not to learn from their mistakes.

Having said that, I don't generally put players in situation where they couldn't have avoided the danger, somehow. If they're in great danger, it's always either because they think it's worth the risk, or, because they are dumb.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

I will cheat and fudge - judiciously- to make a cool game. I am not out to get my players, but to challenge them.

But all combat/damage rolls are open. The players need to feel fear... the PCs are not invulnerable. And sometimes they die. Whether that's a perm death or not is another matter.
@----
3rd year of GMing BFRPG on the Savea Costa. Now back to a six player table.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

In my opinion, I don't think a DM needs to cheat or fudge. If you want the players to succeed at a task then either just rule that they succeeded or give them a really good bonus to the roll. But if you are going to roll, then roll and let the dice decide.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I usually let the dice fall but then fudge the outcomes. (Un)lucky hit by a vorpal sword? No worries... post-combat the party finds an animate dead scroll, just what the shortened barbarian needs. Near-wipe from orc marauders? Next wandering monster is a elvish ranger party willing to bandage up the party with poultrices and hot mint tea. That sort of thing.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Every now and then, pick up a die or two and roll them, and pretend to be interested in the results.
I do this all the time. It creates tension and enhances the mood when I'm trying to create some fear.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Or let them roll and pretend you are interested in the results..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Togo Galthus

Post by Togo Galthus »

When I ran a game for adult friends for several years I never cheated with dice rolls or even to balance things, "on principle". If they stumbled upon a something to big to handle, tough luck -- you can always run away -- and if it was very easy, congrats. This was to give the game world a feeling of "reality", and sure, sometimes it was boring and sometimes frustrating, but in the long run people got very into it and became quite careful -- as you would in reality.

Now, that I've picked up role-playing gaming with my kids, I cheat all the time, to create a good story and just have plain fun!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Playing with kids is always different than playing with adults. We all cheat with kids. I mean, I could whip there ass at chess or basketball if I wanted to ...