other Basic games

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SpyderTattoo

other Basic games

Post by SpyderTattoo »

A little off-topic, but, are there any other Basic games, like Basic Modern, or Basic Space? I would love to explore these as well as BF.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: other Basic games

Post by Solomoriah »

Not at the moment, no.

Goblinoid Games has a game titled "Mutant Future" that carries the Labyrinth Lord rules into a post-apocalypse campaign world.

Also, I understand that grubman (I forget his real name) is planning to release an old-school style sci-fi RPG, but I haven't looked at it yet. He has posted about it on Dragonsfoot.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am excited to see those 'other genre' games, however, I would really love to see someone put together one specifically for the BFRPG rules. It would be very neat to see something akin to Shadowrun, a version of Cthulu, or even something more mundane like something that emulates Red Steel/Savage Coast (emulate is the word because that is clearly owned by you know who). Victorian or Gaslight Gothic stuff would be a really cool setting for me to see.

Again, something using the BFRPG rules would be awesome for showing how adaptable the rules can be.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly, I don't care for class-and-level mechanics outside of "classic" fantasy games. I much prefer a RuneQuest-like system for such games.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Many types of games with many types of settings (all cool). I just get to the point where I have become lazy. Learning one type of game is ideal for my lifestyle... so when I can use essentially the same rules, and visit other sorts of settings - then I am totally in.

Plus, one of my reasons for wishing for a B?RPG version, is for the sake of demonstrating the game adaptability - potentially drawing others in via other routes than the traditional fantasy game. Perhaps there are some Star Frontiers gamers out there who want to try out a different way of playing - or perhaps some that like Victorian Horror stuff from the Savage Worlds game, but somehow want it to resemble D&D more... lots of potential for drawing folks in using genre as the draw, rather than just the rules/fantasy aspect.

anyhow, just thoughts and my own wishes. My time is too short to fully develop an alternate type of setting, but it doesn't mean I cannot wish for some to appear. Perhaps someone just needs a nudge to produce something like this.
SpyderTattoo

Post by SpyderTattoo »

SmootRK, you said it. I also am busy, I have 3 younger kids and I would love to use one set of rules but be able to play in different settings. I also have the StarWars Saga edition but it is just too time consuming and rules heavy. Well not necessarily the rules, but trying to remember all the different skills, feats, and talents and all the combinations thereof, is just too much right now. I would also love to play in some Military settings, particularly modern military. I just came across this website the other day and I love it. I used to play MERP and RoleMaster and liked those, but this system is just so simple. It will be easy for my 2 boys (12 and 10) to play.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Glad you like it!
sycarion

Post by sycarion »

SmootRK wrote:I am excited to see those 'other genre' games, however, I would really love to see someone put together one specifically for the BFRPG rules. It would be very neat to see something akin to Shadowrun, a version of Cthulu, or even something more mundane like something that emulates Red Steel/Savage Coast (emulate is the word because that is clearly owned by you know who). Victorian or Gaslight Gothic stuff would be a really cool setting for me to see.

Again, something using the BFRPG rules would be awesome for showing how adaptable the rules can be.
I'm with you, I like that idea, too.

Speaking of settings, me and the guy from Farsight Games were talking on Twitter yesterday. He used to play SpellJammer with the Moldvay Basic Set. We started talking and we ended up with Grognards in Space.

Twitter can be a dangerous thing. :)

Anyway, I would like a supers and future as well.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

So do we have anyone with a setting/genre idea that might want to turn it into a supplement?
sycarion

Genre Ideas

Post by sycarion »

SmootRK wrote:So do we have anyone with a setting/genre idea that might want to turn it into a supplement?
Oh I would want to, but I want to finish the editing stuff first. I would like a sci-fi setting, a steampunk/dieselpunk type of setting, and something like Grognards in Space. I'll work on the GiS idea, but would really like the others.

Mutant Future has a class progression chart for everyone, that may be the way to go mechanically for the other genres.

I'd also like to adapt the Alchemist class from Dragon #2 as a basis of either a different direction with fantasy or a different genre entirely.