other Basic games

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SpyderTattoo

Re: other Basic games

Post by SpyderTattoo »

I'd like to see a Sci-Fi (StarWars) setting, and a modern military setting (Call of Duty 4 style)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think a Star Wars (or close) setting might call down the Lucas Police. A modern/military/spy variant might be ideal though. The levels become rank measures in some way. Behind the scenes, maybe mix in some fantasy or fantastic elements to make it appeal to others (could always be omitted by someone doing a completely mundane/realistic game). Some stuff like a Jurassic Park islands, Roswell, Area51, Alien Menace, some supernatural stuff (mentalists, ghosts, cthulu-esque stuff). I would want the world to operate largely ignorant of any of the stuff, but some Xfiles sort of interactions occasionally.

I would love to see it come together.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
drcheckmate

Post by drcheckmate »

*bump* Do we have an Alchemist yet?

I've got an setting in my head that might be best served by BFRPG, but I'll need an Alchemist.
http://cruiserolympia.org/site/
The USS Olympia could use some help.
swirler

Post by swirler »

Im a huge Shadowrun fan, and have had all versions of it. lol I even ran it using GURPS at one time. Hmm let me ponder it for awhile.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

Alky-whatsa-name?

Taking of dark magics ... this is heresy! BFRPG - hit fings with sword, zap fings wif spells, NO to steamy lazer punk space-boat madness!

*Absolutist expression of a Genre Fascist*

(I never quite got over the sword guns in Final Fantasy and all that preceded it, I'm blame the Japanese! Of course, I also worry about guns - gunnes? - in fantasy, but historian friends are forever trying to remind me of hand-held cannons ...)

Yes. An Alchemist as a class.

What do they do again? I mean in the actual dungeon. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

In my world of Glain, Dwarves have Industrial Revolution technologies, including flintlock weapons. But they don't share... in fact, most Humans think stories of Dwarven technology are pure fiction.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mhogrymm

Post by Mhogrymm »

I agree with Solo, class and level characters really don't work well with other settings or genres. I am creating a western BH3 style game using the d20 modern SRD. My system does away with class and level in favor of using XP for ability purchases.

Anyway, I have very much enjoyed playing BFRPG over the last few months and would like to give something back to the game. I quickly converted (it may need more work) my character creation process into a BFRPG compatible document. Which I attached. It is not a setting but it may be useful for anyone looking at creating one.
Attachments
noclassnolevel.pdf
(102.02 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
swirler

Post by swirler »

awesome! thanks for sharing! I printed it and am gonna look it over. This may have severely helped what Ive been trying to work on. Im mulling over ideas for a the shadowrun-like basic game and also some other ideas.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have been toying with a few different ideas to explore... but mostly I want to work on an idea that will have some interest from others as well.

First is to continue working on BFRPG's own take on Oriental Adventures. Another thread covers this topic.

Second idea is to make a sort of Victorian Gas Lamp era mixed with Fantasy. Taking some ideas or cues from stuff like Masque of the Red Death (2e stuff that utilized some Ravenloft ideas), Rippers (a Savage Worlds setting), or Arcanum (video game), all mixed with standard fantasy stuff.

Another fun thing to explore would be a full "Call of Cthulhu" treatment. Does anyone know if Lovecraft's work is now public domain?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
swirler

Post by swirler »

last I heard it was not
I have been toying with doing a BFRPG version of the Far Realm stuff
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."