Basic Science-Fantasy Roleplaying?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dorei

Basic Science-Fantasy Roleplaying?

Post by Dorei »

It is just some smooth thoughts now, so I place them here, not in Workshop. I hope that will not violate the board rules. I ask the moderators to move the topic if the board part is chosen incorrectly.

It seems the d20 Game Engine is more or less universal game engine (I have heard about the firearms problem through), and the science-fiction/science-fantasy decoration are compatible with the old-school games (e. g., using Barsoom in Gygax's campaigns, the sci-fi elements in Blackmoor, etc.) and naturally with the AD&D 2e age games (I know that it is a sort of 'mid-school').

So it seems that the science-fantasy supplement or the supplement for the fantasy in the more modern decorations than the common ones (like the AD&D 2ed 'Ravenloft' setting) or the fantasy with the change of the 'technical level' during the adventure (the modern teenagers in a Fantasyland.

But I do not know which designs could be used as models, and which type of the supplement could be useful (if a type of such supplement can be useful), and want to discuss it if posiible.
teaman

Re: Basic Science-Fantasy Roleplaying?

Post by teaman »

This supplement had gray aliens as an option!

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=21

Also, this supplement has a wooden robot type race:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=82

Not sure if that is the sort of thing you are looking for. To the best of my knowledge, there is no science fantasy supplement for BFRPG yet. Though one could certainly add whatever dashes of other games or Spelljammer to the mix for a home game.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Boutin

Post by Boutin »

What do you mean by basic, Dorei? Basic in what regard?
You should check this out if you want to build muscle quickly and safely.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm sure he meant similar to the "Basic" in Basic Fantasy RPG.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Good examples/links teaman; I hadn't read the former in a long time and totally forgot about the Starborn race. And I've always liked the unique ones you've come up with.

The detail/page-length of a "BSFRPG" would probably depend on how much fantasy (ie the core of BFRPG) you'd want in your sci-fi game. If you're wanting to run a hard sci-fi or very little fantasy or space opera, you'd pretty much be replacing almost all the races, classes, etc. If more towards fantasy in space, then not as much need be replaced, or even just a few add-ons. I've seen a few add-ons for several OSRs that brought in or moved the game towards near-future, trans-human, post-apocalyptic, space opera, or full realistic hard sci-fi. It really just depends on what you want in your game. As always we encourage creating something in Workshop and you never know where it might lead!
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 am I'm sure he meant similar to the "Basic" in Basic Fantasy RPG.
I just alter the BFRP name. It has no special sense.
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am I've seen a few add-ons for several OSRs that brought in or moved the game towards near-future, trans-human, post-apocalyptic, space opera, or full realistic hard sci-fi. It really just depends on what you want in your game. As always we encourage creating something in Workshop and you never know where it might lead!
In fact, I have thought mainly about the fantasy in non-High/Late Medieval decorations. I like the Early Medieval decorations (something like Hyborean Age in '80 films) or the 'gaslight fantasy' more than usual variant (so always being more interested in Dark Sun and Ravenloft than in the Forgotten Realms). It seems a good beginning points would be the creating the cultural levels 'mechanics' for the BFRP.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have a retro sci fi/alternate history game called Space Force that I've worked on for years, but I need playtesters, and have not been able to get 5 at one time (the optimum number for testing this game). It's not a class-and-level game, but rather a "skills lite" system.

Someday maybe.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:42 am I have a retro sci fi/alternate history game called Space Force that I've worked on for years, but I need playtesters, and have not been able to get 5 at one time (the optimum number for testing this game). It's not a class-and-level game, but rather a "skills lite" system.

Someday maybe.
That sounds interesting. If you ever want independent playtesters, put it up where we can get it. I know gamers on roll20 that would love to dig into a game like that.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Chris, is that the same as TSGS-Space Force game we played using these rules? https://tower.gonnerman.org/tsgs.html