Monk Thoughts

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
shadowmane

Re: Monk Thoughts

Post by shadowmane »

I would say it would have to be a quasi-class for a monk or a cleric. It could give the cleric more fighting ability while curbing the magic. Of course, with the Monk in this thread being a quasi-class itself, I guess it would have to be based on the Fighter or Cleric, though I could see it used with the Thief too.

Now, if it was thrown on top of a Magic User, with that classes no armor... it might be the ultimate Fighter/MU concept.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Indeed. I do enjoy me some Kung Fu Wizardry.

(seriously, it's like the perfect synergy for a wizard who wants a little more "punch")
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

My general idea on quasi-classes (at least when I thought of doing the original quasi-classes) is that they are designed in a general way so that any and all the base classes (or at the very least the core 4) can find use in the abilities. The abilities might jive a little better with some classes than others, but usable nonetheless. For instance the sage quasi-class might only be marginally useful to a fighter type, but might be very useful to to scholarly wizard type seeking to build magical items regularly.

None of the quasi-classes are designed to remove abilities. Of course, some features of the quasi-class might not be useful unless certain parameters are met. For instance, heavy armor will negate barbarian toughness bonus. However, this does not negate the base class abilities though. Again, this line of thinking will make certain classes integrate better with the individual quasi-class.

That all said, a Monk (or even this interesting Stav idea) would need to get boiled down to just the basics of what a monk IS. In my mind, this is some level of martial arts (attacking and defense), some level of meditation or body control aspects, and perhaps a few special powers (nerve strikes, fall damage reduction, etc). Certain aspects of monastic living might be included (not unlike the barbarian taboo stuff) to add a level of role-play to the offering instead of being just simply a suite of mechanical abilities layered on.

I like the idea of bonus damage (dice), rather than a whole new attack routine. This lets the martial arts be applied to each class according to their martial prowess or otherwise . Even MU-Monk would cast spells like one sees in movies and such (think "last airbender" or "big trouble in little China (storms/Egg Chen)")...
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I'd pay good money for a usable old-school bending system.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:I'd pay good money for a usable old-school bending system.
Indeed. I once had a mind to try to create a setting with elements of Avatar included. Some of my ideas were that all MU types were to be elemental (choosing one of the 5, as I used more traditional Asian wood, fire, metal, air, water). Also, it was going to be set up so that all MU characters were combo-class with a Monk sort of class (which did not exist yet, not even Artkid's)... and that brings it back to this idea of making monks as a sort of quasi-class. Also, during this time, Steveman was working on some interesting Asian (although more truly Japanese oriented) setting stuff (alas he has fallen off the BFRPG radar some months ago)... but because of his work (and it seemed better than my ideas) I pretty much shelved my work. Sneakily, I was hoping to find much of his that could be re-purposed for mine or at least serve as extra inspiration.

Two unrelated ideas for setting/class in a sort of convergence. Perhaps once I get my ideas together for Monk quasi-class, then the setting I had in my mind may come together as well.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have been working on this to make a Monk Quasi-Class... some really good progress this morning.

Any new thoughts on this? Stuff that definitely needs to be in a "Monk for all base-classes"?

The info for Monk is in my Quasi-Class document draft (of release 4 now), but I am not bothering to remove all the non-monk stuff for previews (find monk down near p13-14, but may change as I write more or add in a piece or two of artwork). This will be found in the first post.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Another round of serious updates to my Monk Quasi-Class. First post has the file.

Finished up the portions associated with Martial Arts attacks (other than tweaking out stuff when holes in my logic is found), and I added additional details for Body Control, Falling Damage (in Tumbling actually).

So far, I am very happy with the overall effect. However, I would love some feedback to help me clean it up further.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Eh? One download. Bueller? Bueller?

Now I see why Artkid was surprised that only after a couple years did anyone make comments about his Great Way Adepts.

Some thoughts on what I have already:
The extra attacks mentioned (10th & 20th level)... I have a mind to limit these to just Brawling attacks and not to the weapon attacks. Weapon attacks already are better than brawling attacks overall, so they will just get the damage bonus. It would behoove the Monk-Fighter to take Brawling as a Weapon Specialty under the rules given in the Combat Options Supplement.

Stuff found in 1e:
Speak with Animal and Speak with Plants? I still just don't really get these. I understand that the original Monk of Gary has roots in a specific piece of literature, but I really don't see the point in a boiled down version.
Stuns, Disarms, Death Strikes: anyone have simple ideas for getting these inserted? I have not put a lot thought into these but I want some sort of system in place. Maybe like any strike 4 or more above number needed to hit will stun (foe gets save vs. something, Death Ray perhaps?), or Monk gets choice of Stun, Knockdown, Disarm, others with such roll 4 over?

I also need to address some sort of sample Monk Order where more specific weapon and armor restrictions and other behavioral stuff is mentions. Followers, Special Martial Arts Weapons, Fights for new levels (limited numbers of upper level monks), and perhaps other issues still need mention.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I think im the one who download it haha. Sadly im not too forum active lately...
I agree with the speack powers. An alternative take its to let the pc learn that languages if the gm lets it.
For the stun/kill the ac system sounds good but a high hd monster with low ac could be inefective against the monk.
Perhaps a nat 20? Or x-20 where x its based on the monks level or his level and the opponents hd.
The extra attacks depends mostly on the system you use for regular extra attacks.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:I think im the one who download it haha. Sadly im not too forum active lately...
I agree with the speack powers. An alternative take its to let the pc learn that languages if the gm lets it.
For the stun/kill the ac system sounds good but a high hd monster with low ac could be inefective against the monk.
Perhaps a nat 20? Or x-20 where x its based on the monks level or his level and the opponents hd.
The extra attacks depends mostly on the system you use for regular extra attacks.
Thanks for further input.

For stuns and such, the idea is that the (4 above AC) strike initiates the chance for the effect, but the further save against it would favor the high HD foe (nearly always making the save)... at least those were my initial thoughts.

The whole unarmed attacks is meant to be as close to Core Rules as is possible (under Brawling).. just adding small qualities to it (such as additional attacks). I generally do not like to write rules that re-design stuff in the core. Add to it - yes, but not change substantially. The only extra consideration for Monks is that there is perhaps a notion that the stuff in Combat Options Supplement are generally meant to be incorporated as well (and more, such as the tweaks I have put in my house rules document as well).