Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
lars_alexander

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by lars_alexander »

So, based on the lovely digest edition by Mr. Lemon - I hope it's okay - I put together a German version.
The magic items chapters needs finishing, some tables in the GM section and the stronghold chapters, as well. Other than that, it's playable. :ugeek:

I'll keep the file in my showcase area:
http://basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=118
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Update:
Monsters are sorted alphabetically
Enhanced bookmarks
Encounter tables in GM section translated
Corrected some typos
:D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Excellent news!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

I spent most of the day copying & pasting to the music of Hildegard von Bingen.

The German Core Rules are now up to date. :ugeek:
That is, the Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107-ger10.odt will be available, soon. I uploaded the odt file onto your server, Chris.
There is, however, a lot of work to do, because those pictures crept and jumped through the layout, hid in odd places, and played all kinds of mischievous tricks. A mummy (graphics39) was especially funny- showing up on different pages simultaneously...
I never managed to find the tables on mercenaries in the Core Rules files.

In the process I corrected a few things in the tablet-friendly version, as well.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I pulled the updated version you sent me and got out my format-hammer, and while it has not crashed as yet I can see why the images and frames gave you so much trouble... but fortunately for you, that's my problem to solve.

Having said that... I'm down to the monster section right now. I notice that you have Basilisk listed twice, and going by the stats, the one simply called "Basilisk" is what English-speakers call a Cockatrice. I am concerned that this is a cultural thing... I'm assuming Cockatrice is a strictly English term? Given that they are very different monsters (except for that whole turning-you-to-stone thing), I'd like to suggest that where a cultural difference causes a monster to be renamed in such a way, we include the English name in parentheses so as to avoid confusion.

For example: Basilisk (Cockatrice)

However, I bow to your expertise in this area.

Here's my suggested procedure going forward: Now that all the text is translated, I'll hammer out the layout issues, and you can review the PDFs. If you find problems, just post the corrections in this thread and I'll apply them, so you don't have to fight with LibreOffice or the freaky-complex formatting any more. This also puts the editorial decisions regarding removing art for layout reasons in my hands, so nobody can blame you.

One thing I've been known to do is to rewrite sections to be more concise to make the page flow nicer. Obviously, I can't do that myself in German; if it turns out that such an operation is needed to fix the flow, I'll have to fall back on you there as well.

Really looking forward to seeing this one in print.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Regarding the translation issue, I recall that the German Shadowrun 1E called a cockatrice a "Schreckhahn" (approx. "terror rooster"). I believe they made that up, but the term seems to have become at least somewhat familiar in the German RPG community based on google results. On non-RPG sites dealing with mythology, I can only find "Basilisk", however.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

That's good news, then. :D

I'll think about the basilisks. Let's go with the English name in parentheses, first, and I'll shout when a better German translation reaches my lips or fingers.
@Rhialto: The "Schreckhahn" always felt a little odd to me. I must think about it.

Regarding the parts that still need translation (magic item descriptions, stronghold), I will work on that, and wait for your first corrected layout, before the text gets included.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Art placement for both of those sections is pretty easy, actually (there's hardly any in the magic items, and just the one in strongholds) so I can probably handle doing the actual cut-and-paste for you.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

lars_alexander wrote:So, based on the lovely digest edition by Mr. Lemon - I hope it's okay - I put together a German version.
More than ok, I'm flattered! 8-) I made that version as to have a simplified single-column layout. I haven't asked Solo yet if it's "kosher" to have it on the Downloads page or not, I just figured to have it in my Showcase section for those that wanted it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have to apologize, I've fallen down on the job here. I'll try to get the layout issues resolved and a new version uploaded soon.