Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Gunthar

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by Gunthar »

How is the status on this?
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

The German Core Rules version with illustrations is being edited by Chris.

The tablet-friendly version is complete: https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=118
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm sorry, guys. Too many things going on. I made it partway through, ran into a difficult flow issue, and got distracted. I'll try to get back to it soon.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wow, I am even further behind than I thought.

As you may have noticed, I'm getting close on the Italian translation; it's the oldest of those translations which I'm trying to get laid out. French and German are both waiting for me, and have been for literal years now. I promise, they will get attention soon. Layout on the core rules is hard enough in English, which I can read, but harder in languages I can't read.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

That's all good. :D
I will proofread the German version again once you have finished the layout of the Core Rules.
HeptorColeslaw

Post by HeptorColeslaw »

Hello lars_alexander,

I think there is a serious error in the german translation of the "Basic Fantasy RPG CORE Rules".
In section "Time and Scale" are two different timespans described in the english version. This are Turns and Rounds. In the german version is only one timespan described: "Runde" which is the german translation for round.
This difference is essential, because this has impact f.e. on many rules: light, magic spells, and many more.
One round is aprox. 10 seconds. One turn is aprox 10 minutes.
A torch is burning for 1D4+4 turns. Which is 40 to 80 minutes. In the german translations you used turns and rounds similar which leads to a german translation where is written that a torch burns for "1W4+4 Runden" which means 40 to 80 seconds. That is wrong.
I'm afraid that this mistake is made very often, since the German chapter on "Time and Distance" does not explain the difference at all.
In the german translation of the big red box populated in 1984, they used the german word "Phase" for the english turn.

I found this error while translating "BF Druids Extention" to german language.
I will use the german word "Phase" in my translation for "TURN" now. If you want to choose another german word for "turn", please give me a short info, just to synchronize.

Regards
Heptor
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Hello, Heptor!

The tablet-friendly version which is currently the only complete German translation available for download (Solomoriah already has the complete German Core rules) clearly makes the distinction between a game round (a turn) and a combat round as Spielrunde and Kampfrunde on p68, respectively.
Skalierung von Zeit und Entfernungen
Zeit wird innerhalb von Dungeons in Spielrunden (Runden) gemessen, die ungefähr zehn
Minuten
lang sind. Sobald ein Kampf beginnt, kommen Kampfrunden (KR) zur Anwendung,
die jeweils zehn Sekunden dauern. Eine Spielrunde besteht daher aus 60 Kampfrunden.
And on p81 of the tablet-friendly rules it says that on enemy encounter time is measured in combat rounds:
Spielrunden und Kampfrunden
Wenn die Gruppe auf potentielle Gegner trifft, wird die Zeit in Kampfrunden (KR) gezählt, die
jeweils 10 Sekunden dauern. Bevor ein Kampf beginnt, wird auf Überraschung geprüft (siehe
unten). Nicht überraschte Charaktere würfeln Initiative und handeln in der Reihenfolge der
Ergebnisse ihrer Initiativewürfe.
There may be instances where the qualifier (Spiel- or Kampf-) is omitted, and implied by the given context: torches on p70 are such an example, that burn for 1w4+4 Runden.
I'd rather leave it as it is - after all, this is an old-school game, and players and game masters are required to talk about the rules. However, when Solomoriah has finished layouting the German core rules, there is going to be another round or several of proof-reading and corrections, so I will consider adding a few hints on time-scale where appropriate.

Thanks for the feedback!
Enjoy the game!
HeptorColeslaw

Post by HeptorColeslaw »

Hi lars_alexander,

thanks for your quick reply.
I will use "Spielrunden" in my translations as well and will use tablet-friendly version for key word translation.

Heptor