Quick Character Generation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Quick Character Generation

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:17 am

Post your comments here for Chris Kutalik's Quick Character Generation supplement.

http://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#quickcharacter
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Quick Character Generation

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 am

Has anyone made a form out out of this
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:07 am

Not as far as I know.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I know a lot of people use this supplement for creating play-by-post characters; I did, for the Redbluff game. However, I have had issues with this, mainly because the stats provided cover a bit more range than is really good for this usage.

The supplement assumes that the player will roll a d20 to choose a stat list, so the balance issues aren't such a problem in a face-to-face game; but for online use we usually want to let the players choose one (possibly with a no-repeats rule such as the one I used in Redbluff).

I'd like to swap out the stats given for a set that are more suitable. The stat table I'm working up has a total bonus of +2 for every set, enough that players shouldn't have anything to complain about but not so high that the PCs become godlike. It's in five groups of four sets: four each of stat lists for the four main classes, plus two fighter/magic-users and two magic-user/thieves.

However, I don't want to step on any toes, nor cause anyone problems. So I'm asking for opinions here on my plan. Should I go forward?
quozl

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Sounds good to me!
Dimirag

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:28 am

Go forward!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Very well then.
teaman

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 am

This is nice work, and I could even see using it to develop major NPC's or plots ("Survived a magical disaster", I can definitely use that!)

Thanks to the author.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at drivethrurpg.com. (Soon he'll be able to purchase the name brand peanut butter!). Come take a look if you have some time.

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
jonathon

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am

Firstly, this is a really great supplement. I took three new players through character creation in about 15 minutes - and they ended up with characters with enough depth they could easily establish their relationship (i.e. how they know each other and why they're there) in the first "scene".

---

There's a repetition/contradiction in the first paragraph of step 1:

"Alternately, the player might be allowed to simply choose a row, but if this is done the player should not be allowed to choose a row."

should probably read:

"Alternatively, the player might be allowed to simply choose a row, but if this is done the player should not be allowed rearrange scores."
Hywaywolf

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Solomoriah wrote:I know a lot of people use this supplement for creating play-by-post characters; I did, for the Redbluff game. However, I have had issues with this, mainly because the stats provided cover a bit more range than is really good for this usage.

The supplement assumes that the player will roll a d20 to choose a stat list, so the balance issues aren't such a problem in a face-to-face game; but for online use we usually want to let the players choose one (possibly with a no-repeats rule such as the one I used in Redbluff).

I'd like to swap out the stats given for a set that are more suitable. The stat table I'm working up has a total bonus of +2 for every set, enough that players shouldn't have anything to complain about but not so high that the PCs become godlike. It's in five groups of four sets: four each of stat lists for the four main classes, plus two fighter/magic-users and two magic-user/thieves.

However, I don't want to step on any toes, nor cause anyone problems. So I'm asking for opinions here on my plan. Should I go forward?
I think that would be more reasonable than all those 18s. But some people do like a more robust hero, so perhaps when you change the table you could add an optional rule that adds something to the stats: like rolling a 1d4 and placing wherever you want, max of 2 points per ability or something similar.