Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
GM Parseth

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by GM Parseth »

Something I whipped up for an Isle of Dread style game, would love thoughts and comments on it.

Ancient Master
Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 7*
No. of Attacks: 2 hammerfists or special
Damage: 1d8+2/1d8+2
Movement: 20', 40' swim
No. Appearing: 1d4
Save As: Fighter 7
Morale: 9 (8 if Lord is present)
Treasure Type: E
XP: 735

Ancient Lord
Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 8*
No. of Attakcs: 2 hammerfists or special
Damage: 1d10+2/1d10+2
Movement: 20', 40' swim
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 8
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: E
XP: 945

A cruel and degenerate race, the Ancient Masters have long since lost their names to the sands of time. Never building their own structures and loathe to do an honest days work, the Ancient Masters instead prey upon coastal villages, leaving small baubles and treasures near the shoreline to lure unsuspecting people close before ambushing them. Preferring to their victims alive, they use ensorcelling magics to control those who wander too close to them, using them to bring ever more victims before dragging the lot off to some underwater abode for slavery or worse.

Ancient Masters call secluded and sunken cities their homes, old magics permitting many of these locations under the seas to have air for their slaves to breathe and toil away endlessly for precious jewels or, in the worst cases, be sacrificed to their strange and eldritch deities.

Any humanoid that meets the odd 6-pupiled eyes of an Ancient Master must make a save vs Spells or be under the effects of a charm person spell. One in every thirty Ancient Masters is an Ancient Lord, an even more vile creature with even more power under his sway, being able to cast water breathing on it's new slaves to bring them below the surface of seas. All Ancient Masters have Darkvision but are dazzled in overly bright light (such as that produced by the Light spell) and must make a save vs. Spells or be stunned and unable to act for 1d4 rounds as their eyes adjust. Due to this drawback, Ancient Masters are most typically seen at night where they can make maximum use of their Darkvision.

When an Ancient Master dies, it's body exudes a foul odor. All creatures within 15' of the Deep Master at the time of its demise must make a save vs. Paralysis or Petrify or be stunned and unable to take any action but coughing and moving for 1d4 rounds.
ANCIENT MASTERS.png
ANCIENT MASTERS.png (869.54 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
Last edited by GM Parseth on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There's similarities to the Deep Ones in Field Guide 2. Would you rather build off of those and make a variant of them, or make enough changes to categorize yours in a different entry?
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm There's similarities to the Deep Ones in Field Guide 2. Would you rather build off of those and make a variant of them, or make enough changes to categorize yours in a different entry?
I was hoping to go for something that was different from other things :o I could try doing a name change on them to differentiate them more. As for stats, my Deep Masters/Lords appear a fair bit stronger but are incapable of using weapons, only their hammerfists. Any name suggestions?
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Edited the Deep Master/Lord name to Ancient Master/Lord and tweaked them just a hair.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

So, now that there are three books of monsters, with another (FG3) on the way, would it be a good idea to have a complete categorized list of monsters in each of the new books? I do realize there is the spreadsheet available, but i was thinking having a low-tech alternative avaiable - especially at game time when you need to look something up - would be helpful. like, oh, "look in FG3, for the brown dragon and it is in.... OH! the core rule book!" A simple index like that would be helpful, i think. And, yo wouldn't have to worry about changing it with later books. It would kind of be like the list of "prior novels" in series books.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That's exactly why I created the Monster Index (right now through FG2). I would like to see it added to those documents, but if that happens it'll be far in the future...
blueJedi

Post by blueJedi »

chiisu81 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm That's exactly why I created the Monster Index (right now through FG2).
I appreciate that, its used every time I play.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Glad it's been helpful! 8-)
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

chiisu81 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm That's exactly why I created the Monster Index (right now through FG2). I would like to see it added to those documents, but if that happens it'll be far in the future...
Thank you so much for doing that! I don't know how I missed it before. It's exactly what I needed.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
karnypharax

Post by karnypharax »

Spell Ripper
Armor Class: 13 ‡
Hit Dice: 1*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws
Damage: 1d4 claw
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1-2
Save As: Fighter: 1
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 400

A Spell Ripper is an undead creature inscribed with runes. The jaws are removed from the animated corps and the only sustenance they gain is by draining spells and life force from magic users.

The glowing runes on a Spell Ripper store Arcane Spells allowing the creature to 'cast' them. When the spell is cast the rune goes dark and can only be reactivated by striking a magic user. Magic Users struck in this fashion must Save V.S Paralysis or Petrify or lose one of their higher level spells (determined at random by the GM).

Additionally the Spell Ripper can choose to 'Eat' the spells contained within their Runes for sustenance and by doing so a Spell Ripper can replenish (or gain) 1HD equal to the level of the spell contained in the Rune, also the Spell Ripper gains the Saving Throws of a Fighter of equal level to spell consumed.

It should also be noted that when targeted by Arcane magic the Spell Ripper is ALWAYS allowed a Save V.S Spell and if they succeed then the spell is absorbed by the creature and stored in one of its dormant runes. If no runes are available to store the spell then it is consumed for Hit Dice and Save bonuses as noted above.

If the Spell Ripper is struck by any enchanted weapons then that weapon loses its enchantment. The creatures physical claw attacks now bear the weapons former enchanted properties. Also any PC that is struck by a Spell Ripper while wearing enchanted armor lose the added protection of the armors enchantment.