Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
teaman

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by teaman »

Can I ask what the origins of the Nazgorians are? Are they monsters from a specific fictional universe or older gaming product?

Just not sure.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ha, good question.

Like many of my ideas, they are an aggregation of smaller ideas.

The Frogmen came from my 1930's noir fantasy campaign "Bay City Boys." The concept of a realm called Nazgor came from Lost Pyramid, the only adventure left in the Great Desert multimodule right now; when I decided to write that one, the Frogmen seemed a perfect fit. I created Spiderwolves based loosely on a couple of different miniatures, and I honestly don't know where I came up with Eelbats. Lastly, the Hydramander came to me as I was writing the first chapter of One Night in Slateholm; I haven't yet "retrofitted" one into Lost Pyramid, but it's on my list (way, way down on my list).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

... and a couple of the Nazgorians are redesigns of SRD monsters... essentially re-skinned with ideas drawn from Solo's originals.

The Nazgorians are one of my favorite concepts from the Field Guide. They open up the idea of a completely new realm and source of creatures that can be weird and alien.... who knows what bizaarre intelligences and influences might also be discovered. Or.. are they here already!!!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
teaman

Post by teaman »

Great, I see a Nazgor module in the future. Travel to this strange plane and close the gate that is permitting EEEVIL into the world.

Plus they may have a Taco Bell there.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
jdrakeh

Post by jdrakeh »

I figured that this is the appropriate thread for my query (didn't want to clog up the forums with a new one, and this seemed to have an appropriate title). So....

How does one go about converting monster movement rates from AD&D and BD&D to BFRPG? This is for personal use, not publication.

I've recently purchased four copies of BFRPG 3rd edition and would like to run some classic TSR modules using the system, but want to use a battlemat for combat, so having proper movement rates will matter.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BX writes movement this way: 120' (40'). Use the number in parentheses for BFRPG.

1E writes movement in scale inches, where an unarmored man moves 12". Divide the number by 3, then multiply by 10 to get the BFRPG movement rate.

OSRIC writes movement in feet, where an unarmored man moves 120'. Divide that by 3 to get the BFRPG movement.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jdrakeh

Post by jdrakeh »

Well that is.... super easy. I was definitely over complicating things. Thank you! :)
Gotgrund

Post by Gotgrund »

Has anyone tried to convert the demogorgon?
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I mentioned leprechauns in another thread and decided to look for stats. I couldn't find any in the Rules Book, or the Field Guide, or the threads in the Workshop. Please let me know if there is one. If not, I'm trying to write one up and will post it in the other monster list.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

AlMan wrote:I mentioned leprechauns in another thread and decided to look for stats. I couldn't find any in the Rules Book, or the Field Guide, or the threads in the Workshop. Please let me know if there is one. If not, I'm trying to write one up and will post it in the other monster list.
Excellent. Can't believe those guys have been omitted so far!?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?