Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by MedievalMan »

This thread will be for the discussion of homemade monsters. If you have a monster you would like to post, please use the listed thread below. Their are a few rules that should be followed when posting a monster;

-Only SRD or unique monsters will be allowed into official BFRPG supplements. Monsters that are not open-source may still be posted and discussed, but again, will not be allowed into any official BFRPG supplements.

-Constructive criticism only please, no making fun of someone for "weird" ideas.

-Please keep monsters relatively clean, this is a game for younger folks as well as older people.

-Proper formatting is required. Please follow this rough outline presented by Smoot;

Stats then:
Very brief description. Let the GM/Players fill in with their imagination when possible. Darkvision and language is generally in the first paragraph or two as well.

Next, Main Physical Attack Form, followed by other sorts of attack forms. Large quantities of such abilities are broken up in logical divisions. Spells/Spell-like Powers may or may not be combined into this paragraph depending on quantity or relational factors.

A paragraph where certain factors are always found follows. Mindless, Undead Traits, etc.

Last paragraph might have some addition info such as Exceptional Individuals, Leaders, or any last minute fluff that helps.
Again, if humanoid creature, emulate the flow of another such humanoid from the Field Guide, or find a creature with a similar quantity of abilities or whatever and emulate the flow of info.

That being said, please feel free to post any ideas you have for monsters here, I (and hopefully others) will be happy to try and make your thoughts a reality.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MedievalMan

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions

Post by MedievalMan »

I posted a few monsters I have made myself. You might recognize the tentacled horror from the old thread, but the raggidy is something new.

If I can get some opinions on the raggidy I would be highly appreciative. Its the first monster I have made from scratch in awhile.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

MM.. I think the only thing I would suggest is just having them add the monster's stats directly in the thread as opposed to having to download every creature as a seperate file.. Maybe just add a template format you would like to use?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

We could try it that way.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

dymondy2k wrote:MM.. I think the only thing I would suggest is just having them add the monster's stats directly in the thread as opposed to having to download every creature as a seperate file.. Maybe just add a template format you would like to use?
Agreed, and I have a thought. Perhaps keep one thread for Monsters (stats and description) but do not allow discussion there, instead having a separate discussion thread for the chit chat that goes along. This will keep the actual monster thread nice and concise.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

@Smoot

Now that is an idea I can get behind. Smoot do you have any suggestions for a "proper" format?

EDIT

Alright I made the separate thread for posting monsters. Please post monster stats there.

Back on topic, can I get some feedback on the raggidy? I threw everything I had the board to see what sticks and I don't know how much, if anything, should be changed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:@Smoot

Now that is an idea I can get behind. Smoot do you have any suggestions for a "proper" format?
Not really any different than we have been doing things, although perhaps in your opening post, you might add in the "Description structural flow" that I shared a few weeks back, feel free to paraphrase or simplify it (as I wrote it rather off-the-cuff). That should help keep a common flow of info to minimize any rewriting as we add to the Field Guide.

I would perhaps allow "Infringing Stuff" be allowed in the thread, but the poster must flag it as such so that it does not get accidentally added to one of the print offerings. There are plenty of people who can make use of such things in their own home-games, so long as they understand it is an unsupported completely fan-contributed entry (with poster assuming all liability of such sharing).
MedievalMan

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by MedievalMan »

Thank you Smoot, I will get to work on that soon.

EDIT

And it is done. Look right?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Seems fine. I think this will be a good resource as we get things going.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

OK I've added the Pipe Beast to the other thread.. Be Gentle on the art.. I created this when I was 13 or 14 years old.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony