Criticals and Fumbles mechanic

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Re: Criticals and Fumbles mechanic

Post by MedievalMan »

Fabio_MP wrote:it was not enough for me :)
I know that feeling bro :D I can't honestly say how much time I have spent on weapon and armor tables.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Yeah I'm of the 'This looks cool but is way too complicated to try to handle in game'. I just make a critical do max damage.. not double.. no confirms.. just a good solid hit. Critical misses I just do on the fly, If they roll a 1, I let them call high/low and if they don't make that roll I make up something.. 'Sword flies out of your hand', Your bow string breaks, You fall down prone etc..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

dymondy2k wrote:Yeah I'm of the 'This looks cool but is way too complicated to try to handle in game'. I just make a critical do max damage.. not double.. no confirms.. just a good solid hit. Critical misses I just do on the fly, If they roll a 1, I let them call high/low and if they don't make that roll I make up something.. 'Sword flies out of your hand', Your bow string breaks, You fall down prone etc..
indeed, this is the base idea of the article; Just determine WHEN there is a crit/fumble and then leave it in the hand of the GM

now in its simplest form my idea is to evaluate crit/rolls with the d12 instead of the d20 while keeping the d20 rolls to determine successes/failures

but it was too little for a supplement, so I added some possible options for ability rolls, saving throw and so on. I am all for "you are the GM you decide, here are some examples of what I cooked up here and there"
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

A supplement with a couple different sample critical mechanics might actually be worthwhile.
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

LibraryLass wrote:A supplement with a couple different sample critical mechanics might actually be worthwhile.
you mean like in:

system 1) if you roll 20 you do max damage
system 2) if you roll 20 you roll for confirmation
system 3) if you hit and roll 12 ....
system 4) if you roll 20 use table Slash/Piercing/Blunt/Fire.... adding damage done to the d100
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I've always been a fan of the Critical Hit and Critical Miss decks that Pathfinder came out with. I actually made my own Critical Miss Deck for Microlite20.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Fabio_MP wrote:
LibraryLass wrote:A supplement with a couple different sample critical mechanics might actually be worthwhile.
you mean like in:

system 1) if you roll 20 you do max damage
system 2) if you roll 20 you roll for confirmation
system 3) if you hit and roll 12 ....
system 4) if you roll 20 use table Slash/Piercing/Blunt/Fire.... adding damage done to the d100
Something like that, yeah.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Hey don't forget the system I mentioned, it's just as good as the others :P
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

LibraryLass wrote: Something like that, yeah.
it could be divided in 2 parts

part 1: when it is a critical
system 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....

part 2: what is a critical
system a, b, c, d, e.....

so everyone could come up with 1xb or 3xc and have the "perfect" system for him
MedievalMan wrote:Hey don't forget the system I mentioned, it's just as good as the others :P
I will not forget
dymondy2k wrote:I've always been a fan of the Critical Hit and Critical Miss decks that Pathfinder came out with. I actually made my own Critical Miss Deck for Microlite20.
is there a pdf somewhere?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Fabio_MP wrote:
MedievalMan wrote:Hey don't forget the system I mentioned, it's just as good as the others :P
I will not forget
I was just fooling with yah Fabio. Whatever you feel is best, should be cool whatever you come up with.