Cleric Options

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Cleric Options

Post by artikid »

Hello,
I uploaded to the Showcase my take on what a Cleric's Options supplement should look like.
It was fun to write but also very hard at the same time.
I wanted a simple, Basic if you will, way for GMs (yes GMs, not PCs) to customize Clerics in their games.
I did not want to alter the "numbers" of the Cleric class (Attack bonus, Saves, spell progression,HD, experience requirements) or tinker with spell lists, as this is too much of a hassle and very hard to balance as the 2nd edition era splatbooks prove, IMHO.

What do I think needs work?
The list of granted powers and a system to balance them.
While the more simple a system is, the harder it is to break it; I'm not perfectly satisfied with how things turned out.
I thought of dividing powers into Major and Minor, but this is very subjective and a Minor power in my campaign could easily be a Major power in someone else's campaign.

So, what do you think?

Click here to go to the file on the Showcase
Last edited by artikid on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hywaywolf

Re: Cleric Options

Post by Hywaywolf »

Has then been on the workshop and been given peer review yet? I am not sure I have seen this before.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hywaywolf wrote:Has then been on the workshop and been given peer review yet? I am not sure I have seen this before.
It's new, I uploaded it 10 minutes ago.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

At a quick glance, I really like what you have put together. I think the powers associated with the various 'spheres' likely will need tweaking as time goes by and people weigh in on various parts. I did not even try to fathom all those spheres, but some power-level of various things might not be consistent. For instance, one sphere allows "cause wounds" 1/day, while another sphere (water) gives water breathing (all the time/at will/etc), and another sphere gives "complete immunity to energy drain". I would perhaps look at the list to standardize the power levels more.

For instance, the Energy Drain immunity is pretty strong for a class that generally battles the undead... I might offer that the cleric is immune to 1 drain (or level of drain) per day. Likewise, the mentioned water breathing might be limited to 1/day for x duration (or per spell 1/day).

Anyway, just my really quick glance. Others will likely weigh in on ways to 'standardize those power levels too'; likely going to be debatable opinions on how to do it that will take time to compromise out.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

In my opinion, the showcase shouldn't be where non-reviewed supplements go even if you are on the approved list. They should still be polished up in the workshop and once you feel they are complete be moved to the showcase. Then again, I am not the Benign Dictator For Life here :)

Showcase should be just that, a Showcase of finished but not playtested products. Not an elite workshop for approved providers.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:In my opinion, the showcase shouldn't be where non-reviewed supplements go even if you are on the approved list. They should still be polished up in the workshop and once you feel they are complete be moved to the showcase. Then again, I am not the Benign Dictator For Life here :)

Showcase should be just that, a Showcase of finished but not playtested products. Not an elite workshop for approved providers.
In general agreement with Hyway. Let folks offer opinions via Workshop (as I am currently doing with Familiars), then when it seems to have more polish, then the Showcase is good.

In my opinion, Showcase is for generally finished projects. Workshop (forum) is the training grounds for which one gets a project to that finished state... not that you cannot still make changes to a Showcase item when issues come up or new ideas need to be incorporated.
artikid

Post by artikid »

SmootRK wrote:For instance, the Energy Drain immunity is pretty strong for a class that generally battles the undead... I might offer that the cleric is immune to 1 drain (or level of drain) per day.
Good idea
SmootRK wrote: Likewise, the mentioned water breathing might be limited to 1/day for x duration (or per spell 1/day).
Fact is that Turn Undead does not have a level-based use limit, and some Powers seemed to need a little boost (Water Breathing's unlimited use for example) to make them worthwhile.

I tried to make most powers work once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 3rd or 6th (according to the spell's power) and three times per day at 6th or 9th. In the spell-like ability is accompanied by a boost in the casting of some spells.

I probably should make this a standard, something like
level of spell 1-2: once per day at 1st, twice at 3rd, thrice at 6th, plus little boost
level of spell 3-4: once per day at 1st, twice at 6rd, thrice at 9th
level of spell 5-6: once per day at 1st, twice at 9th

More ideas?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

those were just a couple of opinions to illustrate that some further thought might be put into the powers-balance. Much of these will be debatable for a while to iron out such.

I will try to read through more fully for additional observations.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hywaywolf wrote:In my opinion, the showcase shouldn't be where non-reviewed supplements go even if you are on the approved list...
Hywaywolf wrote:...Not an elite workshop for approved providers.
I've not been up to date with submission procedures.
As I used to do with the other files, I had initially sent the file to Chris for upload/approval and he gave me the go.
I was not trying to "skip" or pass in front of anybody else.

BTW I thought the file was as polished as I could get it done without some playtesting.
Smoot's feedback has apparently proved me wrong.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

but hey, don't be discouraged. So far I love it. I really like the "how to make holy water" part at the end. That is handy.