Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by artikid »

Dimirag wrote:But, on the original proposition its not similar, its worst, the victim suffers from similar penalties but can't be avoided (no ST allowed), can't use any spell (instead of just one of his higher level ones), plus can's recover HP and, unless he stays out of activity, suffers damage.
Using Energy Drain in a weakened form helps with using know effects and saves description space, plus, getting your energies drained by a disease is not a weird mechanic.
In my version the victim can't prepare new Spells, but It still can cast Spells it has prepared.
If you look at it hard enough it's little more than a fireball delayed over time, and potentially It can cause no damage if you rest.
The things you get no Save again are the attack, Save and AC penalties, no natural healing, no running, no preparino new Spells. But the cleric still needs to hit you.
artikid

Post by artikid »

PS
There are two main reasons why I'd rather avoid Negative Levels.
1 They are used, generally, to portray a very specific thing in the game.
2. While simpler to handle at the moment (here, take 1 Negative level), I think they are a hassle to handle in the long run, especially if affecting the player characters. Or high level NPCs like Thieves, Clerics or Magic-users.

EDIT: latest version, cleaned up the language, removed ST penalty, allows spell preparation but requires ST to avoid damage.
Cure disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from.
The spell also kills parasites afflicting the target creature. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: This spell does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease.

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, infects the target with an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 1d6+2 days. A successful melee attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. If the attack is successful, the target is infected.
While the disease is in effect, the victim cannot benefit from natural recovery of Hit Points and Constitution points.
In addition it suffers a -2 penalty to Attack rolls and Armor Class.
At the end of each day in which an infected character exerted itself (for example by fighting, traveling, working, preparing spells or doing magical research), he or she must roll a Saving Throw versus Spells or suffer 1d6 damage points.
Once the duration of the spell is over, the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and can once more benefit from natural healing and undertake any activity that requires effort without fear of taking damage.
Cause disease has no effect on unliving creatures like the undead or golems.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Just as an experiment, here is a couple of versions taken from Dimirag's suggestions:

Take one: Negative levels
The spell also kills parasites afflicting the target creature. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: This spell does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease.

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, infects the target with an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 1d6+2 days. A successful melee attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. If the attack is successful, the target suffers a Negative Level.
At the end of each day in which an infected character exerted itself (for example by fighting, traveling, working, preparing spells or doing magical research), he or she must roll a Saving Throw versus Spells or suffer an additional Negative Level.
Once the duration of the spell is over, the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and is free of any Negative Level accrued through the infection.
Take two: save or die/save or suffer penalties

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, infects the target with an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 1d6+2 days. A successful melee attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. If the attack is successful, the target is infected.
If caster level is greater than victim's HD or Level by 4 he inflicts a lethal disease (the victim must roll a Saving Throw versus spells at the end of the spell's duration or die) if not, he inflicts a debilitating disease (the victim suffers a Negative Level for the spell's duration, no Save).
Once the duration of the spell is over, the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and recovers any Negative Level accrued through the infection.
peelseel2

Post by peelseel2 »

Where can I find a copy of the back cover or the wording of the back cover?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Back covers are the only thing I don't usually share. Frankly, nobody has ever asked... what are you planning to use it for?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

hi, I have another problem undestanding a rule regarding magical reserch, Other Single-Use Items. The sentence :" For other types of items, the GM should assign a spell level as he or she sees fit, and the cost and time required is doubled "; what cost and and time is this refering to ? the 2000PO to research a new spell ? or is it for the next sentence " the cost to enchant the item is 50 gp per spell level, per day." ?
- doubling both time and cost in the latest would actually quadruple the final cost right ? i would think it only double time, and the cost will also double then
- in the latest, 50gp seems low to me, as i could create an item with a spell effect much cheaper than a spell scroll. Wouldn't it be 500 gp ?
- for potion, shall i apply cost mentionned above, 50 gp per spell level per day ? or is a potion considered as a "other type of item" ?
thank you !
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Other types of items" refers to items that do not replicate an existing spell, regardless of form (potion, wand, etc.).

As for doubling "cost and time," that's the final time and cost, so no, no quadrupling. I'd rule that, after a character has created such an item once, he or she need not double those figures next time.

As to the costs, you may be right. I'm not the person who wrote those rules originally, and I've not gone over them in detail; perhaps I need to.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

thank you, this clarify my view. Last clarification i would need:
- after reading again the section i noticed the " the cost to enchant the item is 50 gp per spell level, per day."
This "per day" puzzles me. :?
To make sure i understood the thing: say we have a 3 spell level or equivalent effect, would the cost be : 1 week + 3days ( 1per level) = 10 days of work, and as the level is 3, base is 3x50 = 150 (cost of the level) , x10 (because of the " per spell level, per days" ) = 1500 GP ?
Or shall I consider the Spell level alone for the cost ? (as it is for spell scroll, and enchant weapons and other magic items ), which would then cost only 150 gp in my example ? ( but in this latest case, the potion creation rule is screwed up because one sentence says " Note that the time required willl directly increase the cost"...).
hopefully i didn't tied myself up in knots.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hello, I wrote those rules.
The right cost would be 1500 GP.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

buongiorno, this is clear now, I believe then that the relative low cost of 50 gp is compensated by this 7 days offset, the final cost is comparable to other magic objects. Looks good to me as is, grazie mille ;)
BTW, you have VERY nice artworks on your site, congrat sir !