Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
danbuter

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by danbuter »

One change I'd like to see is that Thief skills start at a higher percentage at level one. Right now, thieves are pretty much useless until 4th level or so, unless they get really, really lucky with their rolls.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Um. Probably not going to change that, though... take a look at the classic game materials, and you'll see I was actually generous.

I'd have to work out some new progression, also. Not looking forward to that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

I realize now my posts sounded a bit pushy, it was not my intention at all.
Cheers
Artikid
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not pushy at all. I'm always glad to hear your opinions, even if I don't agree with them. Sometimes, if several people agree on something I disagree with, it means I need to rethink my position. It doesn't mean I'll give in, but it does often lead to useful compromises.

This is a no-ego zone. Here, you say what you think, and so do I. I don't promise to agree with everyone, but I respect each member's opinion, especially those who have contributed to the project (as you have, in spades).

And I'll rehint the hint I hinted before... there will be a place for many of these suggestions I've turned down in this thread. Just, not yet.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Dan.. take a look at the Thief Options supplement.. I use it in my campaign and it really helps pad out the thief a bit.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

dymondy2k wrote:Dan.. take a look at the Thief Options supplement.. I use it in my campaign and it really helps pad out the thief a bit.
I second this, the supplements are a great way to give a little boost to the core classes (not just the thief.)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

danbuter wrote:One change I'd like to see is that Thief skills start at a higher percentage at level one. Right now, thieves are pretty much useless until 4th level or so, unless they get really, really lucky with their rolls.
I play a thief as much as I can and I don't find it boring. Sure I would like to have higher percentages but I would also like to hit everytime I swing a blade, but what would be the fun in that. With that said, I agree that using the thief options is the way to go along with the thief ability alternate rules on p 142 of the core rules. The two of them really let you build the type of thief you want to play.
Mjollnir

Post by Mjollnir »

Fabio_MP wrote:OK I think your idea is perfect (for the Italian translation)

indeed the 2nd is a very balanced edition :)

ON 3rd edition:
additions: maybe in the GM section one or two pages to give guidance on different gods/cults for clerics (now there are only hints here and there)?

instead for additional classes, races and spell (and all the other "more" things) could be collected in a companion tome (the material is not missing but could be reorganized and given more an unified feel)

PS: a bookmarked pdf would be nice.... but I have to understand how to do it ():-)

sorry for the earlier post I hit the send button before wrapping my mind on what I wanted to say
There's a free program called JPDBookmarks that I use. I could add bookmarks once the pdf is done.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'm late to the party as usual.

Looking at the extra gear and whatnot in the Emporium, I'm going to make the suggestion that any gear additions should be about essentials. The mallet, so you can drive stakes without a warhammer, a signal whistle, twine, maybe one weight of barding, that sort of thing. You don't need three weights of paper, incense, five wagons, and a dozen sizes of jugs. I'd like to put together some suggestions.

on the multiclasses:
1) any additions should be "classic" combinations. As much mileage as we get out of cleric/thief, it's kind of an odd duck. The earliest version of the mix I can recall is the half-orc's cleric/assassin from 1e. Of course, given that the other mixes were more typical of half-elves and gnomes, that's a thin rationale for prohibition.

2) Fighter/thief is moot for for a couple of reasons. First, thieves are not restricted in their weapon use at all, so there's no advantage for proficiencies. Second, thieves share an attack progression with clerics, making them tied for 2nd rather than distant 3rd for being able to hit things. These are the primary advantages for the 1e+ mix. I'm not sure if the spec options for fighters is enough of a draw, but if that were the case, it might fit better with that supplement than in the core. Of course, by that point you are also getting into two-weapon use, giving thieves a potential off-hand defense option to offset the lack of shields.

Fighter/cleric really only gains weapon options (maybe); a supplement on kitting out clerics would let you put in some alternate weapon choices - again, not the main book.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Specifically regarding armor: I really don't want to get into an "advanced" game here, so I'm not interested in the sort of comprehensive armor list that would accompany that. I am willing to consider adding a few armor types, though.
Well, at least when it comes to armor, I think something in between each of the standards would be perfect. Also, perhaps a sort of "change" but I think it would in congruence with the general idea of Ascending AC and how other modifiers work, is to utilize each armor as a "bonus value" to AC, rather than as a particular AC value of its own.

AC 11 (the base) when unarmored.
+1 - Basic (Medium) Shield, can be applied in addition to other armor types
+2 - Leather (or AC 13)
+3 - ?? Scale/Studded Leather (AC 14)
+4 - Chain (or AC 15)
+5 - ?? Splint/Banded/Partial Plate (AC 16)
+6 - Plate (or AC 17)

That is just 2 new categories of AC value but it adds substantially to the choice and variability of the game (and expands greatly on magical armor variability too). Personally I would go with the terms Scale & Splint, but that is debatable.
I could see the value in adding either a Large/Kite Shield (with +2 bonus), and/or a Buckler/Small Shield (+1 bonus but only against 1 foe per round). But I think that stretches into that area of 'advanced' play.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?