Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
teaman

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by teaman »

mattlingdominus wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 pm First post here so I think I should say a huge thank you to Chris and all the contributors. Excellent work.

I've had a look around the forum and at some of the European language translations but can't see any reference to a Metric units conversion. Is this something that has been discussed and firmly decided against having in some form?

If not, I would be happy to have a go at putting together my own conversion rules of thumb and converted tables.
Welcome aboard Matt! you can always put together a table and then post it in the forums, probably in the workshop. I'm not the boss around here, but I think it would be welcome here.

How many euros in a gold piece?
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Metric conversion has been done for each of the other translations where it's appropriate, but never in English. I'd prefer a consistent translation if at all possible.

3 m = 10 ft is a good compromise.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

In Game Master Information, under Optional Rules, Death and Dying, it talks about using Speak With Dead to attain agreement to raise characters in returns for indenture. However, Speak With Dead specifies that the spell does not let the caster actually speak with the deceased but simply let the caster access the residual knowledge "stored" in the body.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

My interpretation is that the optional rule is saying that the GM can alter the spell, in this case either to pre-determine the "deal" or allowing one or more PCs to actually speak to the deceased to arrange a deal.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The spell isn't inconsistent with the Death and Dying commentary. If you have access to what the deceased knew, you know if they would agree to indenture.
Seven

Post by Seven »

That's kinda worse than getting my neighbor to sign my mortgage.

The essence of the spell is that you can't actually ask the player because it would give him very bad ideas about Speak with Dead. It would be much better to just ask a friend or a relative.

I would have the Cleric ask the surviving players if there's any.
There could be some drama.

Maybe that's a good idea for yet another undead, the guy who got raised against his will. Maybe he's not really an undead, he just think he is one. Or maybe he committed suicide to get away from the credit collection agency and even death won't stop them.
Maybe there's a whole church with a network of indentured characters doing hard labour.

Anyway, that's just a tiny little thing in an optional section.
Seven

Post by Seven »

One more thing.

It seems the alphabetical order is weird.
Speak with Dead is after Speak with Monster and Speak with Plants in the Spells section.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Quick question.

While trying to figure out how flying and maneuvering when flying works, I see that the second paragraph of the section "Climbing and Diving" there is a reference to "its maneuverability class". No where else does the phrase "maneuverability class" mentioned. Is that a holdover from something that was incompletely deleted, or is there a "maneuverability class" rule somewhere using a different name?

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The 1st edition had letter classes for maneuverability; this was changed in 2nd edition to be the maneuver distance, as it was easier to understand and follow.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Height and weight appear to be missing for Cyclops.
For a giant, the size is one of the defining attribute.

By HD, they land between the 18 feet Cloud Giants (HD12) and the 21 feet Storm Giants (HD15), but by damage output, they range between the 4d6 Frost Giants (HD10) and the 5d6 Fire Giants (HD11), which are 15 and 14 feet tall.

If I had to guess, I'd go 16 feet.