Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by artikid »

PS:

A description of the Efreeti's Create Flame power is still missing for r76.
I think I supplied one in the Errata thread
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

artikid wrote:Hello,
I largely share Solomoriah's view on 3rd edition.
Let's say I see it more as the Ultimate Bug-Fix than the opportunity to add "shiny" stuff.

The only diference is that instead of a Thief/Magic-user combo (for Elves I guess), I'd put in a Cleric/Fighter Combo (for Dwarves).

Also I'd like to see the Thief/Fighter Combo (for Halflings) put back in, but I guess that would make necessary adding a few things from Fighter and Thief suplements an idea Solomoriah does not seem to like.

Obviously I'll try to send one or two few new art pieces to Shonuff :)
Any specific requests?
Cheers

Artikid

PS:edited for errors
The mathematically apt folks have made the case that F/C and F/T are crap. Basically, a straight cleric at most XP values is better at fighting than a F/C at the same XP value, likewise the straight Thief is a better fighter than a F/T at the most XP values. There is no Fighting benefit or reason to add fighter to either base class, better to keep Cleric and Thief intact.

I went through these thinking processes as well, and is why I instead came up with a couple sub-classes to address the desired archetypes here. I won't go into them as this is a discussion about BFRPG3, but those can be found in the Showcase under "additional fighting sub-classes".

However, I do not know if anyone wrestled with the Cleric-Thief that way. Couple of pbp games have one, and seems to work well.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I am also of the opinion that nothing needs to be added to this, not even any other combo classes, except rule clarifications, grammar checks, some art, spell/monster fixes and maybe a handful of widely desired minor additions. The elf fighter/mu serves both as an example of how to do combo/classes and also gives a much loved raceclass from the B/x rules. No other race classes are needed. Grab them from the supplemental material if you want them. Just like the zero level spells (I don't know why I asked about that in the first place :))
artikid

Post by artikid »

SmootRK wrote: The mathematically apt folks have made the case that F/C and F/T are crap.
I know.
That's why I had sugested taking things from the Combat Options and Thief supplements.

Things are somewhat diferent when the F/T can specialize, has improved backstab damage (x3 at 9th level) and can use thief skills in chain or plate in the long run.

Combat options could make the F/C a little more worthwile too (access to all weapons and specialization are not that bad).

Combat Options should make it to the rulebook IMHO.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Again, I don't see why any of the current supplements need to be in the core rules. They aren't necessary to play the game and most are easily added in as a houserule.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

artikid wrote:Combat Options should make it to the rulebook IMHO.
Not the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules book... someday, there may be another place, but not today.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Reshaim

Post by Reshaim »

I strongly agree with Solomoriah here, i don't see any reason to excessively modify the Classes and Options in the Core Rules 'cuase i think that, as the Basic rules, are perfect as they are.
Regarding the Combination Classes, i think that the Fighter/Magic-User, is the only one eligible to be in the core rules as it well reflect the "source material". Any GM would then make other combinations available to the players as he wish, but i think that it would be better to leave the choice to them and their imagination.
Also, i really agree about the several problems with editing that came with the different releases of Open office/Libre Office, as i was translating the first part in italian that was really frustrating (and i'm not so skilled in editing with Open office either).
About the italian translation, we will do our best to provide it as soon as possible but, if it's not a problem, can we merge the parts into a single file?
I'm asking this because we still have to put the correct notes that reminds toi a specific page and for that we need the document in a single file.
My best regards! :)
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I would say I agree with making it mostly about bug fixes.. I can't really think of anything that needs to be 'added'. I think its got a great set of core monsters and with the Field Guide coming along so well with the new art, I say we use that as the monster repository. Which I guess begs another question.. Do we ever see the Field Guide becoming a Print on Demand book at LuLu as well?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like to say, MORE is ok. Spells, monsters, magic items, equipment, etc. I am even ok with additional races or possibly classes (not that these will happen), but not changes to rules or stuff that requires a bunch of additional rules.

One of the greatest strengths of BFRPG is actually the nature of the piece-meal and modular way additional material is presented. The core remains, but one builds the game they prefer by the selective addition (or not) of some supplements. Compilations of features, a "splat book" so to say, gets hard to selectively take just pieces out of. I have even come to the realization that I would not even actually want an "advanced" version put together as a whole book/booklet. One becomes somewhat constrained to utilize all that is presented as "official". I would just prefer to have gads and gads of piecemeal supplements to browse and select from... each as a single sort of plugin. (Which is one of those reasons why we tell folks to write as if your supplement has to stand on its own (not referencing other supplements)).

Just give me solid core rules as a base, and then let me do the cherry-picking of what I want in my games.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

dymondy2k wrote:I would say I agree with making it mostly about bug fixes.. I can't really think of anything that needs to be 'added'. I think its got a great set of core monsters and with the Field Guide coming along so well with the new art, I say we use that as the monster repository. Which I guess begs another question.. Do we ever see the Field Guide becoming a Print on Demand book at LuLu as well?
Field Guide as a Hard Cover Book is actually one of my personal goals with that project. Slow work.. but that is the end goal regardless.