Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: R108 Final Task List

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:28 pm

TPFox wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:59 am I am just getting started, but I am seeing "they is" used as a gender neutral pronoun with a singular verb. For example, on page 9 it says, "The Thief will usually believe they is moving silently..."
Should I suggest "are" instead of "is" in this kind of case?
Sorry, I didn't catch them all. Have fun with it TPFox!!
miqued

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:46 pm

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:03 am Okay, just curious now... have you read my RPG Primer?
I was actually going to say if anything, we should point readers to there. I think also putting in a page or two of example play would be great. BX and AD&D had extended examples of play so that you don't need to look anywhere else to understand how the game is played, at least at a fundamental level. Kind of like "here's how generic play might be (maybe including one or two examples of on-the-fly rulings), and if you want some more guidance on old school play, check out the RPG Primer"
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Reddit: u/miqued
gabeprime

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:37 pm

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:03 am Okay, just curious now... have you read my RPG Primer?

I'll send you a PDF if you haven't. Just let me know.
I thought I had but I just realised I haven’t.

Btw, I typed that last post just as I was about to go to bed (and almost half asleep). I’ve since had a quick look at the Principia Apocrypha and the quick primer for old school gaming just now and I realised it was as bad as I remembered. I actually have no objections to either. I don’t know why I thought I disagreed with them.

Anyway, if we should link to an rpg primer, we should link to yours. 😀
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: R108 Final Task List

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:10 pm

I guess the point I was making is, the flow errors are liable to be different every time...

... and now I get the reason for your comment about breath "width." I'll revise them. Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 pm

gabeprime wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:37 pm Anyway, if we should link to an rpg primer, we should link to yours. 😀
I feel that if we are going to link to non-BFRPG stuff, going to what Chris has created is the best option, I'm not saying any other creator linked will go wotcish in the future, but... also, linking to "inner material" means that its up to Solo to keep them live, linking to outside sources may give trouble if that source changes its http, edition, or whatever.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
toddlyons

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 pm

gabeprime wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t know why I thought I disagreed with them.
I didn't want to publicly disagree with you, so I'm glad you clarified this. :D I re-read Matt Finch's primer a few weeks ago and I still think it's quite excellent.

But I also agree it's better to direct people to Solo's primer, because Matt's is naturally geared towards his own S&W system.
gabeprime

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:09 pm

toddlyons wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 pm
gabeprime wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t know why I thought I disagreed with them.
I didn't want to publicly disagree with you, so I'm glad you clarified this. :D I re-read Matt Finch's primer a few weeks ago and I still think it's quite excellent.

But I also agree it's better to direct people to Solo's primer, because Matt's is naturally geared towards his own S&W system.
I really appreciate your holding back on my account (even though you didn’t have to). 🙏

I added an “Edit” post script to my original post saying that whatever I posted originally wasn’t thought through and I wanted to take it back. I didn’t want to remove the original post though (despite my embarrassment) just so the following responses continue to make sense.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:37 pm

Matt's primer is good, but the fact that it spends so much time talking about how the old and new schools are different is a turn-off for me. My primer spends substantially less time on that subject.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Alex15

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Please forgive me if this is already known or not an issue, but are the boxes on pages 60 and 61 in the new 4th edition supposed to be there? Thank you!
Alex15

Post Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:19 pm

miqued wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:46 pm
I was actually going to say if anything, we should point readers to there. I think also putting in a page or two of example play would be great. BX and AD&D had extended examples of play so that you don't need to look anywhere else to understand how the game is played, at least at a fundamental level. Kind of like "here's how generic play might be (maybe including one or two examples of on-the-fly rulings), and if you want some more guidance on old school play, check out the RPG Primer"
That's a really good idea!