Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

I thought about it, but I like it where it is.

I may think about it again. Who knows?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

I haven't really be involved in this so far and I know there's already a lot going on here, but just a couple things to add to BF 3rd ed. Granted the author may have already accounted for these:

Resolve ambiguity regarding "clear terrain" in the wilderness movement section:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1039&p=23953&hilit=terrain#p24015

Maybe make spell disruption rule more explicit (attacked, not attacked and hit) (though a lot of players still prefer attack and hit which is fine as a houserule):
http://basicfantasy.newcenturycomputers ... =10#p23787

Just my 2 bits. Thanks to all, for all the hard work!
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Honestly man ! Your hard work and the work of so many have done this game justice and then more. I recently started a Meetup.com group "Joplin Old School D&D". We are meeting every Tuesday night and I have nothing but praise for the system as it stands. Bravo!
jswap

Errata (maybe typo?) in Water Transportation

Post by jswap »

First off, let me just say that I am a newcomer to Basic Fantasy and I love it. I have bought every BF product available on Amazon and I just found this forum.

I believe the price is incorrect for the Rowboat in the Water Transportation chart on p. 14. It is listed at 600 gp and I think perhaps it was meant to be 60 gp.

Here are the reasons I think the price should be much, much lower than 600 gp:

1 - For 600 gp, I can buy 12 canoes at 50 gp each.
2 - If you look on Amazon.com, rowboats are a little cheaper than canoes.
3 - If you have access to sawn lumber, I believe it takes less skill to build a rowboat than a canoe.
4 - I can't find a price for a cabin in the Core Rules, but I suspect it would be quite a bit less than 600 gp. How would poor fishermen be able to afford to go fishing on a lake to feed their family?
5 - (edit, just thought of this) The canoe and rowboat are roughly the same size.

Hope this is helpful!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Just noticed something: on the Wilderness Encounter tables (p 134-135), you have Brown Bear listed under "Woods or Forest". There is no Brown Bear in the monster list. There is a Grizzly Bear.

Not that that would have anything to do with current events in a game or anything...
Go with a smile!
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I would suggest changing the wording on the Halflings inherent hide ability. So that it is explained as 90% chance to hide. Instead of 10% chance to be found. To match the way the hide ability is presented in the thief section.

I can write it up if needed.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

IIRC that special ability is written that way as to be a "pasive ability" (the gm rolls) instead of being an "active" one (the player must announce the action).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

chiisu81 wrote:I am 50/50 on the Cleric turning undead table using the specific creatures rather than HD; if it's showing all from the core book, then I don't mind it. But for any creatures from supplements, home-brew, etc. then we're gonna scratch our heads a bit to figure out their values. I was also first on the fence about having this table in the encounters section rather than listed in the Cleric write-up like B/X, LL, etc. but I do like the 2 pages for the 4 classes, and as long as it states where to find that table (unlike say the savings throw tables :D ) then I'm ok with it.

I tried to edit the ODT to help out with fixing the page numbers, etc. but LibreOffice chokes and dies every single time. :cry:
Why not both?

Skeleton(1 hit die) Zombie (2 hit die) etc.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Dimirag wrote:IIRC that special ability is written that way as to be a "pasive ability" (the gm rolls) instead of being an "active" one (the player must announce the action).
Fair enough, I would roll both as dm. :)
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Okay, this is a huge post and I am almost positive someone has already asked...but, will there be a 3rd edition in (final) print soon? :P