Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
swirler

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by swirler »

Yeah, I can relate. I just thought the ideaof the halfling eating the dwarf was funny.

One campaign I ran back in the mid 90's of AD&D had halflings as basically a scavenger race. They ran around like a hoard of rats, eating anything that was left alone. One player butchered an ox and came back and they'd stripped the carcass to the bone by the time he had taken a steak in and cooked it. LOL
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
pmjdebruijn

Post by pmjdebruijn »

Thankyou for your continued efforts to continue to polish an already great game.

One of the (minor) issues we experienced with our group, was during character creation, where players have to reference the encounters section several times, which means going a bit back and forth during character creation.

While character creation would be most smooth by moving or duplicating the tables, but on the flipside I could see why you might not want to do that.

Possibly, it might be an idea to add specific page numbers to the following statements:

"and they have the power to Turn the Undead, that is, to drive away undead monsters by means of faith alone (see the Encounter section for details)."

"Look up your character's attack bonus (from the table in the Encounter section) and note it on your character sheet."

"Also look up your saving throws (from the tables near the end of the Encounter section) and note them on your character sheet."

LibreOffice has a facility to automate page references like that (so they will be semi-automatically updated with the table of contents).

insert/fields/other/crossreferences(tab)/set reference (you'll see a grey spacer, as reference marker, you should probably insert this into the table header).
insert/fields/other/crossreferences(tab)/insert reference/page
tools/update/update all

Also, going through the monster I was "missing" maybe two or so... I'm not sure what the criteria are for including or excluding particular monsters. I'm aware this can be a slippery slope. Kitchen Sinks and all... But still here goes:

Ratmen (which apparently already been suggested here:)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=662&p=15997&hilit=ratmen#p15997

Piercers, which would basically be sentient stalactites, which drop whenever they sense a living being below them, inflicting damage.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I know it would take a radical redesign, but I am inclined to like having the Attack Bonus listed on the Class (xp) table. I would probably like seeing the saves there too, though the Class Tables might get a tad difficult to read or a little too complex (looking) to those un-initiated with games like these. I know my kids, and even my wife, see something too complex and they just gloss over it.

Also somewhat related to this, I would like the Attack Bonus actually listed for the monster (and yes I know that the HD=bonus for the bulk of the creatures until higher HD ones are encountered; newer players don't necessarily know this though). This could just be a number in parenthesis after HD, with a notation in the section that describes the various entries. HD: 4+1 (AB +4).

Perhaps each class needs a secondary table with Combat Bonus and Saving Throws put right there with the class... that way the tables need not span the entire page (like the Thief skill table), but can be column width (and thus relatively easy on the eyes).

I can see the logic of having the cleric turning table listed with the cleric class (just like the thief table is listed with that class).

... but these changes will modify the ascetics of the nice and concise class section. It might be nice to block off exactly one page for each class (2 for the Thief, and perhaps likewise for Cleric if the turn table is incorporated there). I think this could be further filled in with some great artwork from our esteemed art team as well.

Just thinking out loud. This certainly falls into Solomoriah's domain for such subjective changes. Otherwise, I agree that some notation that points to at least the appropriate section is a worthy change.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Pretty sure I had made a suggestion earlier in this thread about adding some page numbers for reference, since some items were in different sections; no time to dig back to find that post.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not against the page number references; reorganizing the rules, on the other hand, is probably not in the cards.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
pmjdebruijn

Post by pmjdebruijn »

Solomoriah wrote:I'm not against the page number references; reorganizing the rules, on the other hand, is probably not in the cards.
Fair enough. I'd like to re-emphasize that LibreOffice has facilities to do automatic page references.

To set a reference point
- insert / fields / other / crossreferences(tab) / set reference (you'll see a grey spacer, as reference marker, you should probably insert this into the table header).

To refer to a reference point
- insert /fields / other / crossreferences(tab) / insert reference / page

To update all references (including Table of Contents).
- tools / update / update all

And I just noticed the Ratmen (Vermen), are already included in the Field Guide, any chance to get them transported into the core rulebook?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I thought I saw one of the character sheets that had page references. I thought it was pretty slick.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
scrollock

Post by scrollock »

I'm not sure if you think this is worth a change, but I noticed a difference in the way the Light spell's duration was stated.

Light*, Duration: 6 + level turns

All of the rest of the spells in the book look like Floating Disc
Floating Disc, Duration: 5 turns +1/level

I'm suggesting changing Light to 6 turns +1/level
It might be possible that the "+ level" was unintentional and you meant 6 turns.

Is it cool to make suggestions like this?
Also wanted to say I am enjoying the simple rules.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Good catch. It surprises me that it's formatted so differently.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

scrollock wrote:I'm suggesting changing Light to 6 turns +1/level
Pretty sure it's supposed to be "6 turns + 1/level"; it's incorrect in 2E as well, looks like no-one caught it after all this time. Now I'm gonna have to review each spell and monster entry to see if there's any more.