Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:1. I brought in the ghost from the Field Guide, but I wasn't entirely happy with it. Too much "3E" to suit me, for one thing, but more important, it included aging as an attack form. Since BFRPG has no official aging rules, this seemed a bit off to me; I switched it to a straight Con loss, which is more "normal" for BFRPG.
The latest draft of the Field Guide has a completely re-written Ghost entry. Here is that text:

Ghost*
Armor Class: 20 ‡
Hit Dice: 10***
No. of Attacks: 1 touch/1 gaze
Damage: 1d6 + special
Movement: 30'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 10
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: E, N, O
XP: 1,570

Ghosts are the spectral remnants of intelligent beings who, for one reason or another, cannot rest easily in their graves. One resembles its corporeal form in life, but in some cases the spiritual form is somewhat altered.

Simply encountering a particular ghost for the first time is so terrifying that the creature must save vs. spells or flee for 2d6 rounds. A ghost's gaze attack is effective up to 30 feet causing the affected target to save vs. spells or be paralyzed in fright for 2d4 rounds. A ghost that hits a living target with its touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage and drains the victim 1d4 points of Constitution while healing itself of an equal amount of damage.

The Constitution damage is permanent, a result of physical and psychic drain. Due to longevity and/or vitality traits, elves can ignore the first 10 points of Constitution drain; dwarves the first 4 points, and halflings the first 2 points of loss. Lost Constitution can be regained at a rate of 1 point per casting of restoration; nothing else (except a wish) can restore Constitution lost to a ghost. If a character's Constitution falls to 0, he or she dies permanently and can not be raised (but still may be reincarnated).

Once per round, a ghost can merge its body with that of another creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (10th level caster), except that it does not require a receptacle. The target can resist the attack with a successful save vs. spells. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s magic jar attack for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot again enter the target’s body. If the save fails, the ghost controls the target's body and vanishes into it. A ghost can use telekinesis (as per the 5th level Magic-User spell) as if a 10th level Magic-User. When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Ghosts can be Turned by a Cleric (as vampire on clerical turning table but with a -4 penalty to the roll), and are immune to sleep, charm or hold magic. Being incorporeal, ghosts may be hit only by magical weapons or spells. Rarely one might encounter even more powerful ghosts with additional powers or abilities.
----------------

I thought it came out well. It took a fair amount of forum discussion to get it redesigned. However, if you are set upon your version, we can scrap the Field Guide version (does not need to appear in both editions anyway). Cheers. I look forward to latest edition getting Print-Ready.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tell you what. If someone wants to look over both versions and give me the Cliff Notes version of the differences, I'll consider revising the core rules version. However, there are several things that I didn't like in the Field Guide version I used which are still in the version you just posted; not so much rules issues as writing style.

Incidentally, despite common usage, I don't want to have "they" and "their" used as singular nongender pronouns in the Core Rules. I guess I'm just old, but it looks nasty to me. Using "his or her" isn't bad if you're careful to avoid having to do it repeatedly; I've always been able to rewrite around that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Well, since Chiisu81 is taking a role in this, and he is quite keen on errata and pointing out flaws, I will defer such a comparison to him. I am not heavily invested in the Field Guide version personally.. I worked with the previous SRD conversion initially and subsequently a number of opinions were incorporated, so no one really "owns" this version. Regardless, once a version is settled on in the core rules, it is certainly not going to be necessary in the Field Guide too.

Now regarding inclusion in the core rules. Others that might be well placed there (or considered):
Ankheg
Couatl
Dragonne (although there is no core "brass dragon" as part of its heritage)
Eagle, Giant
Ettin
Hyena (and Hyenodon)
Monkey, Common and Baboon
Stalag

There are others that might be well placed (using 1e Monster Manual as a source of inspiration/emulation). You may have already inserted some of these.. I did not review both documents, only a quick skim of FG for others that might fit well in core document.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:Well, since Chiisu81 is taking a role in this, and he is quite keen on errata and pointing out flaws, I will defer such a comparison to him. I am not heavily invested in the Field Guide version personally.. I worked with the previous SRD conversion initially and subsequently a number of opinions were incorporated, so no one really "owns" this version. Regardless, once a version is settled on in the core rules, it is certainly not going to be necessary in the Field Guide too.
I suppose I should read the various commentaries to see if I've overlooked anything. I don't want anyone to feel they've worked on this for nothing.
SmootRK wrote:Now regarding inclusion in the core rules. Others that might be well placed there (or considered):
Ankheg
Couatl
Dragonne (although there is no core "brass dragon" as part of its heritage)
Not in favor of these, as they are basically 1E in heritage (though I'll admit the couatl tempts me).

... just found the missing horse artwork on page 55 of r79... gah.
SmootRK wrote:Eagle, Giant
Ettin
Hyena (and Hyenodon)
The giant eagle, hyena, and hyenodon are in r79 now, and I'm considering the ettin.
SmootRK wrote:Monkey, Common and Baboon
Stalag
Not entirely sure we need the monkeys, but I may put them in. Stalags are also too 1E for my tastes.

And looking through the PDF, I see many flow issues. Please, nobody bother to point them out. Getting the flow right is an art, and I don't generally practice it until the final phases of releasing a print version.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Did some thread searching. Seems the Ghost issue revolved mainly around aging, initially brought up by Solomoriah in his thread about House of Coldarius, then was further refined in a thread by Jackel but only indirectly in refining the Lich entry of the Field Guide (where the further refinements were included there as well); so, it was a couple of different entries getting a concurrent fix with regards to the aging thing. If I remember correctly, some of the conversations were via PM as well, but I cleaned out my inbox some time ago.

Still matters little to me, but if you finalize the Ghost entry substantially different from the Field Guide version (with respect to the aging thing), then I will see that the Field Guide "Lich" is updated to match the mechanics and the Ghost entry is removed (still does not need duplication).

I will see that the Hyena/Hyenadon and Giant Eagle are removed as well. Just no need for unnecessary duplication of monster entries.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd hold off on removing things from the Field Guide until 3rd Edition achieves "final" status. That may be a while yet, after all, and the Field Guide is in better shape right now than the Core Rules 3rd Ed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Incidentally, despite common usage, I don't want to have "they" and "their" used as singular nongender pronouns in the Core Rules. I guess I'm just old, but it looks nasty to me. Using "his or her" isn't bad if you're careful to avoid having to do it repeatedly; I've always been able to rewrite around that.
I have been trying to take this particular critique to heart. I am guilty of using "their" in such ways, though I have never heard of this particular usage being wrong or even non-standard. That said, I have noted several places where this shows up in the current document I am working on, so I am trying to locate those instances and tweak the wording to accommodate.

I generally feel like I write material exceptionally well, so when one notices a particular flaw or awkward manner in which stuff is written, it is particularly surprising to me. Learning forever continues. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Don't let it worry you too much. I just fix it when I find it in the manuscripts that are handed off to me.

If I wanted to get irritable about something, it'd be things like "4-24 points of damage" instead of "4d6 points of damage." I never, ever liked the 1E habit of writing the range and letting the GM figure it out... I'm slow at mental math, and some of the ranges Gary liked to throw in were less than obvious.

Incidentally, I'm wondering if changing the website captcha to dice designations would be a good idea. For instance, show two ten-sided dice in a picture, and have 2d10 be the correct answer. Would that be easier or harder than the current method?

(Take a look here: http://jpscorner.com/contact-form.html for a captcha I set up for a customer. I don't know how to make it any easier.)
swirler

Post by swirler »

I haven't read all the way through the thread since it spans several revisions. That being said I was just curious, did the halfling eat the dwarf? It certainly seems so to me. Is that a new mystery or one that has been in circulation for awhile?

:lol:
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

swirler wrote:I haven't read all the way through the thread since it spans several revisions. That being said I was just curious, did the halfling eat the dwarf? It certainly seems so to me. Is that a new mystery or one that has been in circulation for awhile?

:lol:
lots of weird layout issues. No real effort on fixing these until the text is finished up. Large document with art are a real beast in Libre/OpenOffice; similar stuff in the Field Guide are constantly popping up while one works on anything.