JN1 The Chaotic Caves

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

JN1 The Chaotic Caves

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for J.D. Neal's "The Chaotic Caves."

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#jn1
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: JN1 The Chaotic Caves

Post by SmootRK »

I already posted elsewhere that I think this great. B2 is my all time favorite module, and this pays homage to it. I especially like the blue maps (very retro). Thanks so much for this!

for JN2, perhaps a castle and small village (keep eh?) with a critter problem stemming from a dungeon underneath the location...

another idea to consider is homage to Homlet or Saltmarsh... I love my old stuff.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see something with pirates raiding coastal towns, myself... orc pirates, perhaps. :D
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I'd like to see something with pirates raiding coastal towns, myself... orc pirates, perhaps. :D
ooohh... what about Islands with Pirates and Dinosaurs?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cool!

... but let's take this discussion elsewhere, so actual comments on The Chaotic Caves won't get lost here.
grider

Post by grider »

Good stuff! I haven't read through it all, but I like the overall feel of the adventure. Good job, J.D.!
grider

Campaign World: Cthasia - The Ohne Islands
~~~~~~~~~~~
King's Library Hosting, Hosting-The way it's supposed to be.
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

I'm glad people like it. I like the editing; Solomoriah caught a lot of the litte mistakes I made and improved things.

Some of the mistakes/annoyances due to me include:

Room #4: it's a mountain lion but then it says panther. Originally it was going to be a black panther but was changed. In the USA some people call cougars or mountain lions panthers; but I missed it before sending it to Solomoriah.

In the intro for lair "F" some members from other species is mentioned but I forgot to do it. I was thinking of putting a dwarf with the guards; and maybe the brigand leader (or a second hand person) as an elf.

Room #38: forgot to specify whether the cells are empty or occupied.

Entry #80: the minotaur is throwing rocks (as a suggested activity) but there isn't even a suggested range in case the GM decides to use it. I was vaguely thinking 15/30/45 or maybe 20/40/60.

Entry #83: rather than pounds of food (an artifact from something else) it should be probably be 2d6 (or 1d6, or 1d8 or 1d10) rations per standard Basic Fantasy equipment list.

Main map itself: I've been looking it over, darkening some lines, removed some contour line over-runs, added suggested height for the controur lines -- but didn't change any rooms around.

The original map was designed to let people print it on long paper (or chop it in half and print it on two pages and tape them together). Squeezing it into the limits of a PDF is an annoying part of electronic distribution.

The design choices I made were arbitray and spur-of-the-moment. I forgot about tons of things people might consider cannon: oozing monsters, flying monsters, giant insects, those natural unmappable caves, multi-level lairs. Almost everthing is male or no gender is specified solely to provide a blank slate for the GM to work with. With one reminder that women exist, too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

J.D.: Feel free to edit the ODT format document from the website, then send it to me. Don't worry about monsters left out... it's good as is.

I wouldn't concern myself with ranges for the rock-throwing minotaur, other than to give a maximum range. If he's within short range, he'll likely melee instead.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'm enjoying the caves! One quick note:

In area A, room 4 (the chief's room) it says there are 4 orc warriors. However, they have the same HD and stats as normal orcs, instead of the 2HD, etc., from the core rules.

Edit: Also, Area B room 11 says it has orc warriors, but the stats are for simple orcs.
Sir Bedivere
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Oh, and the orcs should have an armored movement rate listed, 20' I think.
Sir Bedivere