Church of Tah Expansion Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
LibraryLass

Re: Church of Tah Expansion Supplement

Post by LibraryLass »

shadowmane wrote:I finally found the file again after searching my new server. I'm going back through the draft right now to make corrections and what not. I'll be adding to the content over the course of the next few weeks. I hope to have another draft out soon.

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone on the art forum has seen my request for art on the general forum. I would love to use original art in this supplement.
Sweet! I'm into this.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

shadowmane wrote:Hmmm... I wonder if anyone on the art forum has seen my request for art on the general forum. I would love to use original art in this supplement.
I'd post another request in the Artwork forum, and Blisterfoot or Shonuff may be able to hook you up.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I just took your odt file and converted it to a pdf so that a player of mine could read it. He is playing a divine champion combo in one of my pbp games and wanted more info on the tah religion. So he is looking at giving it a go over. I will post any feedback when I get it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Idea inspired by something I read a while ago...
While the Tah mythos is essentially monotheistic (if you don't count the underworld counterparts), and you have some divisions based upon 'sects' or variants of the worship (not unlike Jesuit, Franciscan, Opus Dei divisions within the Catholic Church)... but perhaps another degree of fine tuning clerical/religious characters can be achieved by use of "Saints" in service of Tah.

These "saints" would allow the clerics another degree of change based upon the saint's particular "schtick". Saint XXXX, patron of animals; Saint YYYY, patron of travelers; Saint ZZZZ, patron of scholars; etc. Each such saint forms a role-model to follow, adding various religious requirements but also adding some sort of perk.

Yes, this adds yet another degree of complexity, but for some gamers/GMs it is desireable, perhaps especially if one needs to entice players into clerical professions. I like cleric characters, so this would be just gravy for me or others like me.

Of course, just ideas to potential mix into the pot.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Smoot,

Saints were always going to be in the mix. I just haven't added them yet. I still have a lot of work to do on this thing before its ready to come out of "draft" stage. I'm still gathering research on a lot of it. I do have a complete mock-up of the God in my head, though, complete with D&D Immortals style info. That will go into the Saints as well, and why there are Saints instead of rival Gods.

Metroknight,

Its nice to see that you are getting some use of it even in its incomplete form. Lots of ideas running around in my head on this one.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Okay, I worked on this today. I added a section on Tah. It might not be to everyone's liking, but I can't please you all. I would like some feedback on how I can flesh that section out. It seems a bit choppy to me as is.

I've also done a little work on the history, as you will see with a section title without any text underneath. I'll continue to work on this as I get time. Have fun.
Attachments
Church_of_Tah-4d.odt
(58.63 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have not gone through it line by line, but rather skimmed it. Thoughts:

I think the histories and descriptions could be condensed a bit more. Hard to explain exactly, but seems a bit "too much" or forcing too much historical data on GMs... just not enough room for GM to tweak things a bit for their own particular tastes.

Similar to that above, I would try to generalize the locations mentioned in the texts. This allows for the material to get used when somebody might be doing their own 'world' when otherwise dropping Morgansfort into their campaign.

Then, I think some specific "crunch" might be added at the end of the document. Specific stuff for Clerics (or others). Perhaps a couple spells specific to particular divisions. Specific weapon/armor/item restriction changes for the divisions. Relics (magic items) specific to Tah/Shaitan. Perhaps a specific sort of "Paladin" can be included here. The idea is that, while some like the historical and campaign background stuff, many also like new bits of stuff for characters, magic items, even monster stuff... stuff that can be dropped into the game directly.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Yeah, I've been struggling with all the history stuff. I might ditch a lot of it. And I do have ideas for class stuff. Cleric stuff as well as Magic User stuff. I'm still looking into the Solomon Kane idea. I think the Cleric and the Paladin are so similar, its almost a travesty to have them as two different classes. If you think of the Cleric, Paladin and Priest classes as one macro-class, the approach would be better. But that's just me.

I plan on fleshing out the different churches a little more, adding example clerics of each, complete with a few spells unique to the Church.

Thanks for the feedback.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

um...if this isn't a dumb question what's wrong with making up different gods???
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nightwulf wrote:um...if this isn't a dumb question what's wrong with making up different gods???
Not a thing wrong with doing that...

rather Morgansfort, as a sort of mini campaign setting, includes a rather good mythos oriented around a Monotheistic worship primarily (mainly the other faiths are druids or the antagonists anti-gods who mainly work against this group of monotheists). Shadowmane just seeks to expound upon the faith described in the module.