AA1 Adventure Anthology 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: AA1 Adventure Anthology One

Post by SmootRK »

Seven wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:18 am Technically, a human could use a kobold bow and arrow.
I'd just grant a penalty to hit--until the human becomes expert with it--and keep the lower stats.
Maybe add a chance to pull too hard and break the bow. Maybe on a 1?

Not sure why anyone would want to do that, but I have heard of people who shoot bows from one knee.
I would not allow larger races to use smaller races bows. Try picking up a kid sized bow to fire it... nearly impossible to do well. Your arms just cannot get to correct position to aim and fire. Hard to explain, but it just does not work. This is from experience after getting a bow for my son and trying to show how to fire. :lol:
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Are you familiar with kyubo?
The original samurai bows where severely asymmetric self bows.
Recurve bows designed to use on horse were tiny, maybe close to 1 foot of span.
It takes practice.

I'm pretty sure I'd do better with a kobold bow than with a sling.
People tend to under estimate the range and accuracy of slings precisely because it seems impossible to use properly consistently.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

It's a great product. My only nitpick is that most of the maps don't include a scale. In another thread Solomoriah told me the default is 10 feet to a square, but making a note of it would be really helpful when redrawing the map on a battle mat. I even saw a video of a playthrough where one person used the 5 feet per square and got confused about the number of zombies in a room.

Offhand, the ones I noticed lacking a scale are Beneath Brymassen, Merilla's Magic Tower, Taming the Flames, and the Lost Tome. Ruin of Darkfir Castle doesn't even include a map of the interior. I'll update the list when I go over the book again.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Note for staff: I'm working on an R22 now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd love to see a map for Darkfir. The outdoor map provided now is a lot better than the original one; I don't recall who did it, but it's pretty good. I should probably re-read the adventure and key that map for ease of use.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Darkfir, p. 26.
First sentence: "...can find a lose stone...", should be "loose"
Stat-blocks for darkling & giant bats: should not have comma b/w "Mv xx'" and "Fly xx'"
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

p. 58 - As of r21, there is still no XP given for defeating the Elemental Fire Portal
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Darkfir:
p. 26, Third Level: entire paragraph should be boxed text
p. 26, Cursed Chapel: first paragraph should be boxed text
p. 27, Pile of Garbage: first paragraph should be boxed text
p. 27, Former Residential Building: first paragraph should be boxed text
p. 27, all Underground sections: first paragraph should be boxed text
p. 27, Wine Cellar, first sentence: replace comma with semi-colon or spin off into separate sentence.
p. 28, Treasury: first paragraph should be boxed text
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

toddlyons wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:31 pm p. 58 - As of r21, there is still no XP given for defeating the Elemental Fire Portal
This is a tough decision; it's not a traditional monster, doing damage only to those who get too close (attacking in melee per the adventure, but I'm expanding that a little in my current edit). It has a lot of hit points, 10 to 11 hit dice worth, but no tactical capabilities (no movement nor any volition at all). So awarding 10 hit dice worth of XP seems too much. I think treating it as a 5 HD monster is best, with one special ability bonus star (hit only by magical weapons). That would be 405 XP.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Darkfir vexes me. It has no interior/underground map, and we have no key (nor even a scale) for the outdoor map, though at least the current outdoor map is otherwise usable.

Gah.

Time and past time to figure something out for this one.

EDIT:

There are three distinct areas that might need to be mapped:
  • The tower, above ground, three levels
  • The octagonal chapel
  • The castle dungeon
There is no reason to require the dungeon to match the tower base floorplan; it can be more extensive. However, it is stated that the secret passage from the wine cellar goes back up to the tower, so those two rooms need to be beneath it more or less.

... I'm drawing this, in case anyone was going to jump in. Just musing here so that anyone else with suggestions can chime in.