AA1 Adventure Anthology 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA1 Adventure Anthology One

Post by Solomoriah »

I've edited in your changes, and corrected a few more things, but I'm not going to post it just yet. I still need to detail the slaves in Slaver's Fortress (recall the background info... they just raided a village, so at least the Duke's son and his wife-to-be would be here, plus perhaps 9-12 villagers of mixed gender).

Thanks for all the help... you're almost single-handedly filling in all the blanks all over the multimodule, leaving just the proofing and layout to me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Chris.. I'm glad to help! I figured I could attack the missing pieces first.. then once we feel all the modules are complete.. give it a good proof reading once over..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Cloaker

Post by Cloaker »

So here is my quick story on the success of this game system--

30 minutes notice.

Me and my 12 year old. He wants to throw down some D20.

He wants to use his legacy character he has been playing for a year and a half--5th level paladin. 3 other NPCs all 5th level as well. (3 NPCs, priest/mage/elf thief.)

I need something quick and a one session fix so it works within the campaign--I quickly grab Merilla's Tower and print it up. I use a theme of her being an influential Glantri City mage who journeyed to her tower and hasn't been heard from. He is enlisted to find her. Considering that he has been hunted and vexed by the Veiled Society for the better part of the last year, seeing there were two assassins at the end worked with my theme. What happened?

1) The mage was immolated at the very beginning by the fire runes on the door, two others downed to 25% of HP, and he the Paladin down to 35% HP. This trap was brutal. It depleted all the healing potions/spells the party had early. Three make it inside the door, two back to full health the other 75% HP.

2) The Bronze Golem was way powerful. I didn't even use the trapper because this encounter was so tough (60 HP!) But the party defeats it with about 50% HP to spare.

3) The fireball traps on the two chests was overkill carried over from the entry door rune experience. The mimic type creature (I just changed it on the fly to a mimic, seemed to work easier for my memory) I played off like a T-1000 type of being, changing fists into hammers or swords and morphing throughout the combat. Very fun. But that fireball trap on both chests nearly wiped out two characters on their own.

4) Gas Spores...um, yeah, he's 12 and I didn't want to see his character die yet. Allowed them to be susceptible to blunt attacks, and had the NPC recognize them with a skill check for fairness sake.

5) Turned the Faerie Dragon into a fun interaction scene, had it run from them up the stairwell and turn invisible, as if to lead them to the danger that was more urgent above.

6) Party couldn't get the trapdoor open that I "placed" to get to the 5th level. Improvised a thrilling climb outside to the roof by rope, that nearly cost a NPC his life.

7) Have the entire 5th floor blanketed in a silence 15' radius spell read from scroll by the assassins..which helped as they were focused on deciding what to do with Merilla, allowing the party to come in for a final climax fight. Party narrowly wins, Merilla rewards them for saving her life etc etc.

Anyway, my point is I had ZERO prepared. 3rd edition, 3.5, and 4th would take way too much time to prep. I was able to do all of this with 30 minutes notice and improv so much on the fly to fit his campaign story. THAT is why I use BFRPG. Race not as class/ascending AC/skill checks/attack bonus has also made the game WAY more accessible to my kid. He thinks he is playing "advanced" style from old B/X. Loves it and wants to keep playing this style.

Thanks for all the work both with system and supplements like AA1!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for the playtest report. If you'd like your name and/or your kid's name(s) in the credits, PM me how you want to appear and I'll see to it.

NOW... regarding the Magic Tower... as I've said before, I am troubled by the magic items Merilla was making. If she's respected in the kingdom, what sort of kingdom is it, exactly?

Everything doesn't HAVE to be black and white, but if it's not going to be that way, don't we need a bit more backstory?

So. Options:

1) Merilla is a complex character, living in a complex world. We should give the GM some pointers about her... after all, she's a "hero" but she makes vampiric magic items. What's up with that?

2) Merilla is a good guy. We need to replace the magic items she's created with items that are appropriate for a heroic character to create.

3) Merilla is a bad guy. We should revise the text to indicate that she is hiding her true nature from the local leaders; discovery of the items she's produced (once they are properly identified) should result in a scandal.

4) Something else I haven't thought of.

I'm in favor of 2, and 3 is my second choice. 3 could actually be a lot of fun, done right.

The main thing is, it's not clear to the GM just what, exactly, is going on here, and while the players may never know, the GM should never need to wonder.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I plan on running Merilla's Tower in the near future and I am going to have her making a NPC Paladin a set of armor and sword.. So she is staying a good guy in my version.
The Dragonclaw Barony
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

OK there is one thing niggling thing that's been bugging me.. The misspelling of Hostel in the Island in River map. I think if AA1 is going to make it to print, we probably want to fix that.
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, if you want to update it and send me the updated copy, I'll be happy to add you to the contributors list (or are you in there already?)
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I am.. But I was wondering if JD had the original copy of the map and could edit it easier than we could.
The Dragonclaw Barony
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

So I just finished Slaver's Fortress with my players.. I am curious if anyone has played this one?

Here is what I did on mine..

1. Combined this module with Island in River. In my version the island was a small island just off the coast of a large swamp. I called it Frog Island.

2. There is a some stairs behind a hidden door in the fortress.. I made that a secret entrance (actually it was meant as an exit) that they entered from a hidden trapdoor in the stable of the mansion.

3. Instead of the Prince, the cell was full of elven sailors who had landed on the island to investigate the disappearances and were captured.

Summary: This one seems pretty difficult for players to keep from turning into a mobfest. My players did a good job at first, because I let them get in a 'back door' they were able to take out a few small group of soldiers using hold person combined with some successful sneak and long range attacks. But when they reached one of the guard towers a guard lasted long enough to get one blow on his whistle. Since he blew it on the same turn that he was killed, I decided it wasn't a full blow and rolled a percentile 25% to see if the mage heard it.. He did. So he comes out of his secret door and I have him looking the wrong way when he came out. Party got a full attack and knocked the mage down to 3 hit points. Things look good right? Next round 3 of the players are within melee range of an AC11 wizard. You guys are already writing his epitaph right? All 3 of them missed and the wizard slipped back through the secret door, the party slowed by the fact they had to find how he opened it. This gave him enough time to run back to the barracks and alert the off-duty guards. Here is where it turned into a mobfest. With 2/3 of the guards in the barracks they just piled out of both doors and surrounded the party in the hall. Luckily with some judicious use of spells the players were able to fight their way through this. Since the mage was in pretty bad shape I thought he would try and stay out of the fight, so I had him continue to go to the other rooms and warn the brothers, Morgath and Sharana and the guards at the other end. He followed the last group back in time to see the party cutting them down so he released lightning bolt down the hallway. He killed two of his own guards just to hit two of my players who luckily, saved for half damage, one with 1 hp left, the other with 4. The fighter/mu then tagged him with magic missile to finish him off.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has run this and what their results were? I thought my guys did a good job of trying to be stealthy but one bad round and it was all out the window.

And barring any changes.. Merilla's is next..
The Dragonclaw Barony
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I fixed the mis-spelling on the 2 maps and put the updated images in the file. The page-count is different from the PDF, not sure if that's from using LibreOffice on the file. If someone else needs to fix the file, I've included the fixed images as well.
Attachments
maps.zip
fixed maps
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 402 times
AA1-Adventure-Anthology-One-r2.odt
Maps fixed
(9.25 MiB) Downloaded 403 times