DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Post by Solomoriah »

I have some recorded online game sessions on my Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN-P6 ... 0FEPLyQUaw
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:19 am I have some recorded online game sessions on my Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN-P6 ... 0FEPLyQUaw
HAH there it is!! that's what I was looking for and not finding!
No matter where you go...there you are
leon

Post by leon »

Trippy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:38 am I am new to OSR but experienced in 5E. I am not sure I get DMing the old school way. For instance, when going up to the ruins to look for Fonkin, I tried narrating the day's walk and made encounter rolls but it seemed 'forced'. Is there a playthrough of this sort of thing that I could watch for learning?
The PCs in my game have been travelling a lot this year, so figuring out how far they can get in four hours and rolling for an encounter has become routine for us. We're tracking a threat level per hex (known to the players), so I let them make the roll. We check every four hours. There are three checks during daylight. Play goes something like this.

GM: It's one day to travel from the ruined tower to the river camp. Roll for encounter.
Ferris: (rolls 1d6) 3, nothing
GM: Next segement
Aderian: (rolls 1d8 because this hex has been partially pacified) 1!
GM: (Rolls a 2 on 1d4) Two hours later, you're in the mountains, and... (Rolls for encounters in the mountains from core rules. It's 6 wolves. Rolls 1d12. A result of 4 means 40 yards away. Rolls for surprise and neither side is surprised. Rolls 2d6 for reaction. It's aggressive.). A pack of snarling wolves comes charging out of the brush and onto the road.

A lot of this is style and preferences of the players. My fellow players like collaborating on what happens in the world by knowing the mechanics and rolling the dice. Knowing what to expect as far as the rules go helps make it not feel forced.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
Trippy

Post by Trippy »

:o I thought I was supposed to roll once for every hour of travel. I judged 6 hours of travel so they rolled six times.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Trippy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:56 pm :o I thought I was supposed to roll once for every hour of travel. I judged 6 hours of travel so they rolled six times.
from the Basic rulebook PP 145

"The Game Master should check for random encounters in the wilderness about every four hours of game time; this translates nicely to three night checks and three daytime checks. If your players choose to stand three night watches, you simply check for each watch; in the daytime, check morning, afternoon, and evening."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The adventure may call for different time frames. I haven't looked at it in a while.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:52 am The adventure may call for different time frames. I haven't looked at it in a while.
once an hour would make it a little crowded for wilderness though
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r23 put in Projects.
Re-formatted for newer template and CC license, lots of direct formatting cleared, stat-line fixes.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon, Release 23 -- March 12, 2023
Thanks to James Lemon for putting together this first CC BY-SA release of this campaign series, and thanks to Dave Gerard for consenting to the relicensing. This is not a print release candidate, as it is full of gray box placeholders for new art.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#dc1
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I'm going to do an editing pass on this one now.