BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly do not know why I had so much trouble making his name consistent.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery, Release 42 -- February 04, 2018: A few more errors found by Chris Hall have been corrected, and now maybe we have a final version. This is a print release candidate, of course.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tomorrow I'll be in St. Charles, MO (in the St. Louis area, for those of you who don't know Missouri) at the Fantasy Shop for their Demo RPG Day event. For this one, we were asked to run Halloween themed games, so I'm going to run House of Coldarius. It's what I intended it for, really... we've got a wererat (instead of a werewolf aka wolfman), a vampire (wizard, who could double for a mad scientist), and a flesh golem (Frankenstein). Add in a ghost, skeletons, some really big rats, a bloodsucking rosebush, giant bats, giant spiders, and a mummy, and I think we've ticked all the classic horror movie boxes. Well, we don't have a creature from some lagoon, but that's about it.

I'm struggling with Calbani, the dwarf fire giant. A misshapen, grovelling servant who turns out to be a dangerous opponent is good for me, but just how short can a "dwarf fire giant" be? The very shortest humans on record come in at 22" (which is pretty short, granted). A modern man's height is 5 feet 9.5 inches according to Google; round the half inch up and we get 70 inches, making the shortest man about 31% of average.

An average fire giant is 14 feet tall according to the core rules. 31% of that would be 4 feet 5 inches.

Hmm. So maybe I'm struggling for nothing. If he were 6 feet tall, but walked hunched, he wouldn't be that imposing. Of course, he'd be broad, and probably have a rather large head.

... so now I've rewritten and reorganized the entry, moving some of the descriptive information into boxed text. I guess there may be a new version uploaded soon...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

In the Field Guide 2 there is Deep One, Lagoon Creature which is basically my own version of the black lagoon monster.

You need an "Igor" in there somewhere... is this where you are going with the misshapen giant?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, pretty much an Igor. Except he's way tougher than an Igor... and more than a bit creepier.

He sleeps in a crematorium, among the still-hot ashes of the dead.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r43 in Projects folder. Mostly stat-block fixes, but several other small corrections.

House of Coldarius, p. 86: checkboxes (blood rose & plague hounds) different style than the rest; pasting from checkbox generator website didn't change them, perhaps they're the newer/"correct" style?

Removed new monster page, as the tin golem and pangotherium are now in FG2 (added in references where needed).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Removing the direct formatting from those checkbox paragraphs fixed them.

I had an unreleased R43, so I'm going to put this out as R44.

Announcing!

BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery, Release 44 -- March 06, 2020
This release contains several minor revisions by James Lemon and a formatting correction by Chris Gonnerman. This is a print release candidate, so please, check it over!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#bf3
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Title page says r43 rather than r44
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Gah.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

- Title page says r43 rather than r44
- Page 20, 16 warrior women: perhaps insert column break to keep stat-block together? (if it doens't move part of checkboxes to next page)
- Page 25, Magnus Mourngrim stat-lines: unbold comma after "Plate Mail +2" (yeah I know total nitpicking from me)
- Page 26, 46. VALOR TRUE'S QUARTERS: Does the "Valor True's treasure" portion need to be bolded? (the wording itself)
- Page 37, Maricela, Duchess D'Angelo stat-lines: unbold commas (again totally nitpicking)
- Page 39, tables: possible to have a teensy little more space between them? (without breaking up table at bottom left)
- Page 72, Rurik's Shadow*: needs XP value
- Page 89, last paragraph: change "12 hp" to "12 HP" (per the Style Guide)
- Thaumerion's Tower: the room headers, as far as showing the room #s as well as the level #, do not match how they're displayed in the previous adventure (House of Coldarius); I prefer the former, ie just having the level # once, in bold on its own line, followed by the rooms. It throws me off seeing the level # repeated for each room on that level, on the same line as the roome header, after the colon and not bolded. I don't know if changing this would break the layout a whole lot or not.
- Page 112, the "three-dot list": is that the default indentation for lists? It seems really far over (to the right) in the column.