BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Honestly do not know why I had so much trouble making his name consistent.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm

BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery, Release 42 -- February 04, 2018: A few more errors found by Chris Hall have been corrected, and now maybe we have a final version. This is a print release candidate, of course.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Tomorrow I'll be in St. Charles, MO (in the St. Louis area, for those of you who don't know Missouri) at the Fantasy Shop for their Demo RPG Day event. For this one, we were asked to run Halloween themed games, so I'm going to run House of Coldarius. It's what I intended it for, really... we've got a wererat (instead of a werewolf aka wolfman), a vampire (wizard, who could double for a mad scientist), and a flesh golem (Frankenstein). Add in a ghost, skeletons, some really big rats, a bloodsucking rosebush, giant bats, giant spiders, and a mummy, and I think we've ticked all the classic horror movie boxes. Well, we don't have a creature from some lagoon, but that's about it.

I'm struggling with Calbani, the dwarf fire giant. A misshapen, grovelling servant who turns out to be a dangerous opponent is good for me, but just how short can a "dwarf fire giant" be? The very shortest humans on record come in at 22" (which is pretty short, granted). A modern man's height is 5 feet 9.5 inches according to Google; round the half inch up and we get 70 inches, making the shortest man about 31% of average.

An average fire giant is 14 feet tall according to the core rules. 31% of that would be 4 feet 5 inches.

Hmm. So maybe I'm struggling for nothing. If he were 6 feet tall, but walked hunched, he wouldn't be that imposing. Of course, he'd be broad, and probably have a rather large head.

... so now I've rewritten and reorganized the entry, moving some of the descriptive information into boxed text. I guess there may be a new version uploaded soon...
SmootRK

Post Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:49 pm

In the Field Guide 2 there is Deep One, Lagoon Creature which is basically my own version of the black lagoon monster.

You need an "Igor" in there somewhere... is this where you are going with the misshapen giant?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Yeah, pretty much an Igor. Except he's way tougher than an Igor... and more than a bit creepier.

He sleeps in a crematorium, among the still-hot ashes of the dead.