Flowmaster Setting

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
shadowmane

Flowmaster Setting

Post by shadowmane »

I invite you all to help me flesh out this setting. Attached is the odt file that has pretty much all I've developed so far. This is a very base setting with only a few ideas put up. I hope we can all add more, and discuss what should and shouldn't go into it.
Attachments
Flowmaster.odt
(38.42 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
xav++

Re: Flowmaster Setting

Post by xav++ »

I was thinking about doing my own but I'll check yours out:)
Droyson Fillif Level 3 cleric
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

We could collaborate and come up with something community driven. We throw ideas out there, and what sticks, sticks. What don't, we either throw out or make optional.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Sounds good
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

The background story here is as follows:

1000 epochs ago, there was a great war. The culmination of that war was the sealing off of what is the known planes of existence from the flow. It was sealed off to trap a set of ancient evil deities reminiscent of "The Great Old Ones" of Lovecraft fame. 1000 eons ago, another war was fought by the deities at the time to trap these same "Great Old Ones" in one plane of existence, thereby freeing the multiverse of their influence.

In the present time, there is only one deity remaining from that time, and he is trapped in his own plane of existence and almost forgotten. Even the Gods have forgotten him. They also don't know the history of the multiverse, and have no clue the flow exists, and that there are other multiverses out there.

All of that is about to change. Two naive younger immortals have uncovered the secret by discovering the plane the ancient God lives on. He has revealed to them, through stories that enchant them, that there is more out there, if only the four gates, found in the four elemental planes of earth, air, fire and water are activated. What this ancient God has forgotten is that activating those gates will also let the "Great Old Ones" out of their prison, as they open up every plane to the flow, if only one knows how to reach it. Unfortunately for everyone, only the "Great Old Ones" know this information.

This is supposed to be a macro version of Spelljammer, introducing the planes of existence within a Crystal Sphere of their own, with access to the flow from each of its planes. Its not fully fleshed out, but between what I just put up there, and what's contained in the file, its the seed of something that can be fleshed out.

Some things that I'd like to flesh out:

Should the name be changed or kept?
Should be rename the plot devices like the load stone and the activator? I would love to see a more creative name for those.

Some things I haven't introduced yet:

The Demiurge - the intra-verse heavy who runs everything, and whose forces threaten to come in and force convert the Gods to his cult. Or something like that. Remember, the planes don't have to be the ones that exist in D&D, they can be of our own creation.
Last edited by shadowmane on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

What I was thinking was more of a generic setting with an adaptation of the rules. I'll post something in the workshop with my rules edits. I'll also get on editing this mutha.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Cool, once its properly formatted, we can brainstorm and come up with stuff to keep and stuff that's there that needs to be dropped. Remember I said it would be a multiverse shattering setting. I look forward to seeing your setting too.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Looks like we will be seeing a lot of each other haha
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am very interested in this. I would like to see more.

I have not been able to do much creatively lately, and have my hands rather full with half-projects of my own, so I will stay out of much discussion on this. Sounds cool though.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I wanted to add a few basic assumptions before this got too far off the ground. First off, I like how Mystara handled its deities (which it calls immortals). That is the angle this whole thing will take, with the "Gods" of the setting being immortals. As the forces of the Demiurge begin infiltrating the multiverse, they begin converting mortals in order to enhance their power base. Once this is done, they will begin the process of converting immortals.

The idea is that the two immortals cause the four portals to be opened. One Flowmaster ship slips through in the plane of fire (though it could be any of the four elemental planes previously listed), taking and shutting down that gate, thereby trapping themselves, but more importantly, keeping the "Great Old Ones", who they do know about, from escaping. Of course, they have no clue that the "Great Old Ones" have been imprisoned in one plane, and expect a long, drawn out fight. What's more, they aren't noticed at first, which gives them time to set up shop. The first the immortals hear about them, they have already made converts, and are gaining in power.

Since they all serve the Demiurge, they derive their power from the Demiurge. Instead of Immortals, or Gods, they are called Archons. But those mortals who worship the Demiurge call them Saints.

This is where the setting comes in. Since I have a world setting, I could use it as a starting point for the spread of the worship of the Demiurge, but it could actually happen in any setting you choose to put it in. The idea is that the Demiurge wants to take over. He want's all beings to show fealty to him. He works to make the universe as benevolent as the limitations of matter will allow. To that end, he seeks to convert all, mortal and immortal, to his cult.

At any rate, that's some assumptions and other information that I'm working on right now.