Templars

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Templars

Post by Dimirag »

I understand your point, I like the idea of having an increase use on magical items, so I'll think about adding something along that line...
Probably I'll change Dispel magic so it can be of better use against object than against flat magical effects.
So they'll probably will end up with:
Detect/Sense Magic, so they can locate magical objects.
Identify Magical Object, so that they can know if the object is the one they are searching for.
Resist Magic, in case they suffer from the objects magical effect in a negative way.
Dispel Magic, so they can end ongoing spells and temporary cancel the object magical properties.
(possible) Increase magical item use, study of these grants some benefits.
They don't have any special abilities against magic user's per se except resist magic (I'll clarify that dispel magic only works on willing targets).
I'll try to rewrite it so they are more effective against object and in their quest for these.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Uploaded Release 1.5
Some changes:
-Abilities:
--Detect Magic now works only with magical objects and ongoing magical effects caused by these.
--Analyze Object
--Disrupt Magical Object (and related magical effects), minor extra changes.
--Magic Resistance: No changes
--Evaluate Person: Previous Judge
-Minor text corrections.
Hope this time the class is more in line with the intended concept...
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

You know this reminds me of a class that was in the Blackmoor campaign setting book. Arcane Warrior I think the class was called. They basically worked for the Mages Guild hunting down rogue wizards and sorcerers. It was a cool class.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm currently working on an Inquisitor Class but I'm having trouble with the turning table...
Then I'll make a witch-hunter
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I object to using the name 'Templar.' The Templars were a Christian religious order officially recognized by the Catholic Church. The full name of the organization was "The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon." I really don't think we should use the names of real religious orders in the game. For example, I don't think we should have a cleric subclass named 'Jesuit' or 'Benedictine.'

Also, the name 'Templar' doesn't add anything to the class. It doesn't tell us anything about what the class is about, and it is a bit misleading since most people probably would think it's something like a paladin.

Other than that, I have no problem with it; it's an interesting concept.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Sir Bedivere wrote:I object to using the name 'Templar.' The Templars were a Christian religious order officially recognized by the Catholic Church. The full name of the organization was "The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon." I really don't think we should use the names of real religious orders in the game. For example, I don't think we should have a cleric subclass named 'Jesuit' or 'Benedictine.'

Also, the name 'Templar' doesn't add anything to the class. It doesn't tell us anything about what the class is about, and it is a bit misleading since most people probably would think it's something like a paladin.

Other than that, I have no problem with it; it's an interesting concept.
I sort of agree. However, I have no problem with some sort of class based upon a historical group, at least in the proper place. For instance, the Morgansfort module has a deity system based loosely upon early Christianity alongside druidism and some pagan potential (other gods). In this setting where it is all rather like the early church, I would see such a group as Templar as a potential group, however, they still need a name change so as to not be offensive to us actual Christians (although I don't bother with getting upset by such faux pas in the game).

For this particular class idea, I suggest "The Order of Archivists" or Archivers for the actual class. But that is not really up to me, only suggestions. I am sure there are other such terms that might apply that would not utilize actual Christian organizational names.

And, just an idea, but another opposing organization could be put in place that is in direct opposition to your class. An Artificer's Guild, folks who endeavor to build and sell magical items of various types... perhaps putting MU Merchants against these knights, at least in the political and economic realms, if not directly hostile.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Sorry if the name of the sub-class results offensive to someone, I took the name "Templar" on a more loose and mystical sense, you are free to change both its name as the name of the institution. I played several games that uses templars as characters....

There is also "The United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and of St John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta" which is a philanthropic chivalric order affiliated with freemasonry.

I try to not imitate but rather slightly base on existing or supposedly existing professions to create the sub-classes, otherwise we couldn't have druids, paladins, monks, witches and others...

Start a religious debate is the least thing I want to do, so again I apologize if this or any of my sub-class results in an offense to anyone and if Solo asks me I can change the name or erase the post.

@Smoot: Once I start doing Magic Users sub-classes one of them deals with the creation and exploitation of magical items...
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

If we're gonna ban Templar for religious reasons, then we should also ban Paladin, too. English is a living language and words evolve, and over he years, just like how Paladin moved away from being the specific Peers of Charlemagne into being any kind of religious knight, the name Templar moved away from being specifically the priests of the Temple of Solomon. My only issue is that the common meaning of what Templar has become in modern English is exactly what the dungeon fantasy Cleric is - i.e. warrior-priests given strength by their faith. We should also probably change the clerical weapon allotment, as it is a throwback to a Papal decree during one of the Crusades; and thus implies all clerics are Catholic.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Another motive for the weapon restriction is that the "battle priest" had the duty of converting their opponents, so using blunt weapons to render them unconscious instead of using cutting impaling ones was a better choice, but in these games clerics don't have that requirement, they don't try to convert the undead or that rampaging ogre, they smash their skull with their mace!!!
A tend to explain that they train with blunt weapons because they are most effective against skeletons and similar undead. Maybe rethinking the subdual use of blunt weapons can be the gay to go, but thats a theme for other topic...
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Steveman wrote:If we're gonna ban Templar for religious reasons, then we should also ban Paladin, too. English is a living language and words evolve, and over he years, just like how Paladin moved away from being the specific Peers of Charlemagne into being any kind of religious knight, the name Templar moved away from being specifically the priests of the Temple of Solomon. My only issue is that the common meaning of what Templar has become in modern English is exactly what the dungeon fantasy Cleric is - i.e. warrior-priests given strength by their faith. We should also probably change the clerical weapon allotment, as it is a throwback to a Papal decree during one of the Crusades; and thus implies all clerics are Catholic.
Oh those crazy old days, when you couldn't spill blood and crossbows were considered cheating. Good times.