Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
greymark

Re: Libram Magica

Post by greymark »

I am doing some work on spells. Tripping over some minor edits. Feel free to ignore if you don't agree or too nit picky.

1. Light: (and vice versus) should be (and vice versa)
2. Energy Blast: "Resistant (but not immune) creatures may have saving throw bonuses (see appropriate ability, spell, or monster entry) and takes ..." I think it should be 'take' (e.g. creatures take, a creature takes)
3. Ice Knife: "The daggers melts away ..." probably should be 'The dagger melts .." Nothing plural in the rest of the description.
4. Charm Person: "The target receives a new saving throw each day if it is has an Intelligence of 13" should be "... if it has an Intelligence"
5. Based on forum posts, it appears that the Necromancer supplement upgraded Stoneskin to Boneskin with +4AC and to a level 2 spell. Libram still shows Stoneskin as a N1. (Personally I would upgrade Stoneskin similarly.)

I have a lot more work to do so if I see any others I will add a post.
daryen

Post by daryen »

For Boneskin, look at the Necromancer Supplement. For the new Stoneskin, look to the New Spells Supplement.

For Light and Charm Person, check the Core Rules.

I have not forgotten this supplement, and am in the middle of doing the tedious job of moving duplicate spells forward from the primary sources. It just takes time, and my free time has been scarce lately.

Also, I'm still waiting to make sure the last fix for the Spellcrafters is acceptable.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Light and Charm Person are correct in the core rules. ("vice versa" and "if it has").
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK. I think I have the text up-to-date in the document. I have done the following:
- Added everything that is in the latest New Spells Supplement and the various Class Supplements from the Downloads page.
- Added the Spellcrafter class that has previously been excluded. While adding it I gave the class access to some other existing spells so they didn't get left behind. I also created a new spell for them to match the other classes' reincarnation clone.
- NOTE: I am assuming Spellcrafter Supplement r10 is accepted. I have included the single spell-swap in that revision.
- Made sure all spells matched existing levels. (It had re-leveled a handful of spells; that has been reverted.)
- Copied the actual spell descriptions from Core and New Spells to make sure they matched the most up-to-date versions.
- Includes ALL published spells from Core plus the Supplements above.
- Includes all spells previously in Libram Magica.
- Updated the index to include all spells.

The problem with the document is that the formatting isn't great. The spell descriptions have very weird page break issues that I can't figure out, and all of the spell lists should have links to the spells, but I don't know how to fix that and make them work. Any help with that will be greatly appreciated. Since I don't own this thread, I can only add the file in this post. I am adding a PDF to make things easier for casual participants to read, but remember that this is an initial version and even the PDF is a bit wonky. But, it's time to finally get it out there so the formatting stuff can finally be addressed.
Attachments
Libram Magica-r5.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
Libram Magica-r5.odt
(961.48 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

One extra note on the stoneskin/boneskin/whatever-skin spells.

In the materials I started with, there was just a stoneskin spell that was first level. It was in New Spells and in the Necromancer spells. It worked just like the current mage armor spell. (Which is just a rename so I could reuse the spell name "stoneskin".) Now, stoneskin is a fifth level spell that works more like a I thought a spell named "stoneskin" should work. The new stoneskin spell is in New Spells.

In addition to that, I added a second level barkskin spell for Druids. Its effects are very similar to mage armor, except that it has a flat +4 armor bonus instead of a conditional +2/+4 bonus to reflect the fact it is a second level spell instead of a first level spell.

For the Necromancer, there was a problem in that the version of the Supplement I started with gave them 13 first level spells, and the number needed to be reduced to 12. I realized that if we bumped the stoneskin (now mage armor) spell to second level, then it solved the problem with too many first level spells and helped get the number of second level spells up to 12. However, since it was now second level, I instead modeled the Necromancer's spell on barkskin, rather than mage armor. Then the spell was reimaged to be creepier and more on-theme and named boneskin.

I doubt anyone really cares what the journey to the current set of spells was, but that is what happened to the old stoneskin spell.
gg2

Post by gg2 »

for hyperlinks.
Here's how I proceed (maybe I'm using the wrong terms, my interface is in French, I hope it will be understandable), this is not the basic method used, but both methods cohabit (with this document, not always :) ).

Choose the SpellHeading style, edit/plan&numbering/level (choose level 1).
Then, choose the SpellSubHeading style, edit/plan&numbering/level ( level 0, body text).

Now you go to your tables, find a word that is not hyperlinked, select the word, then Insert Menu / Hyperlink / Document / Target in document / click on the icon, in the window choose Titles (expand), Choose the right title, apply, close, and so on.
then a second word, and so on .....

This method uses Titles to create Bookmarks in the text. And it also automatically creates a Bookmark Navigation in the pdf.

If this method doesn't suit you, it seems to me that the basic method is: transform the spell title into a Bookmark (if you haven't already done so). Select a title in the explanations, menu Insert bookmark, give the name of the bookmark (same as the title), insert.
Do this for each spell title (that doesn't already exist as bookmark) one by one.

Then the same method as before except that instead of choosing Titles you have to choose Bookmarks and expand

I hope it helps, otherwise I'll be able to do it... but only on the final document. :)

ps : problem with reincarnate and reincarnation in the table :)
daryen

Post by daryen »

I will see if I can figure out what you just explained. :)

Also, for errors, please just post any errors found. I will correct them, but will not post any updates until there are a reasonable number of errors corrected, or no one posts any other errors.

On reincarnate, that is the name used in the Core rules, so I'll make sure that is used throughout this document. I am not gonna do any updates to the Druid or New Spells Supplement if they got it wrong, though ...

And I corrected the grammatical errors in energy blast and ice knife.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not against bookmarks, but I don't want "hyperlinks" in the usual underscored, different-color format in any of our books. Navigation should not be visible in print.

If you use cross-references, they insert page numbers, useful in print, which act as links in a PDF in most formats.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
gg2

Post by gg2 »

If I'm not mistaken, to have the hyperlinks invisible in print but still active in pdf

Open the Styles and Formatting window (F11)
Click the Character Styles icon.
Right-click the "Internet Link" or "Visited Internet Link" character style, and choose Modify.
In the dialog, select the new attributes, and click OK. (black, not undescored or "standard")

and the cross-references are cool in print

ps: daryen, you can create hyperlink directly from the browser with drag&drop, possible with Titles or Bookmarks
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yeah we tend to use cross-references. I've pm'ed daryen that I'd start looking into the odt and try to get the layout and such further along.