Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Libram Magica

Post by Seven »

I have no authority here. I'm just copiously providing my free opinion.
For example, I have used thorn trap (which is great against thieves but not so great against a fighter in armor) and venom trap (which has a saving throw) instead of fire trap. It ends up being very similar...

Hallow is one of those funny spell with a really long casting time.
It think it would work better as a special ability.
Starting with level 10, a druid can maintain a sacred grove which confers those effects...
gg2

Post by gg2 »

hi,

in the translation of the Libram Magican, I had noted several things, I was waiting for a return from the French readers to point it out... and as no return, I forgot. But in the French Libram I point out the differences with the other supplements.

already said by daryen for Growth of Animals and Neutralize Poison, Obscuring Mist, Summon Animals I, and Summon Animals II

But there is also: reincarnate 6th level in the druid's supplement (6th for the mage) becomes reincarnate 5th level druid in the libram...

Familiar (MU lvl 2), Clairaudience (MU 3), Censure (C 1) are in the New Spells and absent from the Libram

nothing special with the illusionist or the necromancer...

as my translation is a bit old, be careful that the errors have not been corrected since :)
daryen

Post by daryen »

Yeah, the Libram Magica has some odd holes in it. If no one beats me to it, I will eventually get to it, but I have to go through the other efforts first so I know what needs to go where. Also, I want to steal some from it, too. For example, the zero-level spells for Druids, Illusionists, and Necromancers should probably just be moved straight into the Zero Level Spell Supplement. (Or at least some base ones should be.) But what it should look like in detail really can't be done immediately until the other items get updated as much as they can.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, I am about to dive into Libram Magica. However, before I do, I would like to make sure of how to approach things. What I plan to do is the following:
1) I will update the spell lists to include everything from the updated class Supplements.
2) I will also adjust the spell lists to match what is in the Core Rules, class Supplements, and New Spells Supplement.
3) I will add Spellcrafters to Libram Magica. (They are currently missing.)
4) On the spell descriptions, I am planning to only include net-new spell descriptions in Libram Magica. If they occur in the Core Rules, class Supplements, or New Spells, I will make that reference, but not include the spell description in this document.

Once all of that is done, I will post the updated document here for everyone's review.

I will not add any new spells. This is purely to update it, as is, with the updated information from the class Supplements and New Spells. Only once the above is done will I go back and look for other new spells to add.

Does the above sound reasonable? Is it correct to limit the spell descriptions to just the net-new spells?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Unlike other works, this is specifically Smoot's (as it will never be printed as an "official" supplement for reasons already explained). So what to do with it is entirely up to him... I'd wait for his answer before moving forward.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:15 am Unlike other works, this is specifically Smoot's (as it will never be printed as an "official" supplement for reasons already explained). So what to do with it is entirely up to him... I'd wait for his answer before moving forward.
Ack, no worries. Although I started and got this document to the state it is in, I do not mind whatsoever for anyone to expand, clean, and otherwise make this better. Make sure to add yourselves into the project credits... just leave me in there too. Nerd Bragging Rights, ya know.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
daryen

Post by daryen »

I don't ever want to take out any one else's credits. If I ever do, immediately call me out on it, as it was a mistake.

I am planning on doing this in two phases:
1) The stuff above. This is really just collating everything that has been done thus far with no real additions or subtractions. Just updating to the new document versions.
2) Evolve it. At this point we can maybe make additions, changes, select removals, "smoothing", and things like that. But anything like that requires discussion (here).

The biggest question for #1 is this: I plan to remove all spell descriptions that are not unique to this document. Is that an OK plan? The reason for wanting to do this, is that there are already several spells that are in two places. I really would like to not have them in a third. But, I do understand the other viewpoint. Thus the question.

Also, you have to approve everything anyway. At least implicitly, as you own the document entry in Showcase, which means you have to update it. I don't think I can.
daryen

Post by daryen »

New question: Can a magic-user (or sub-class) learn a new spell from a spell scroll? (Assuming that the spell is otherwise on their list and they don't have access to it otherwise, whether in their own spellbook or someone else's spellbook.)

That is specifically not addressed in the Core Rulebook and I want to know whether to delete that line from Libram Magica. (Or whether it is completely unaddressed and left to the GM, in which case I still want to delete the line.)

Thanks!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Core Rules: No, they can't, a spell scroll contains the spell in a static form and a trigger, and some info about the spell probably, there is not "enough spell data" to fully learn the spell
Libram Magica: Yes, there is an optional rule for that at the start of the file
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

The core rules say the a MU may learn spells by being taught by another MU or by studying another MU's spellbook. That's meant to be an exhaustive list.